Irish moss other clarifying adjuncts doing more than just clarity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
This guy explains that irish moss aids in poor head retention, and gelatin may reduce flavor and aroma. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtVfCWhtGI&feature=related]What Does Irish Moss or Finings Do? - YouTube[/ame]

I'm not the kind of guy that believes everything he hears. But it is something I haven't really thought about pertaining to possible off flavors and other effects with adjuncts geared towards clarifying beers. I used Irish moss and a whirfloc tablet (basically the same thing) in my last batch and was thinking of using gelatin for the first time once it is ready, but after listening to this guy I'm actually doing some reconsideration. Especially since I am also dryhopping.

I use whirfloc (irish moss) in all of my beers (that are not hefeweizens) during the last 10 minutes of the boil. I have had absolutely no issues with head retention. Ever. I'm not saying the dude is wrong. Just that I have witnessed no ill effects from using whirfloc.

I use whirfloc (irish moss) in all of my beers (that are not hefeweizens) during the last 10 minutes of the boil. I have had absolutely no issues with head retention. Ever. I'm not saying the dude is wrong. Just that I have witnessed no ill effects from using whirfloc.

QFT +1 :mug:

To my understanding he misread that section of New Brewing Lager Beer, the reason you would add hop extract or dry hops at that point is that it's just before serving.

I've never had issues with irish moss or whirfloc tablets either, the part I'm more concerned about is the gelatin... Seeing how the whole point of it is to drop impurities and other proteins out of suspension makes sense it may subjectively also do the same with dryhops or any late additions where the essential oils for good aroma and flavor also separate. To what extent I'm not sure, maybe I'll try this for an experiment.

Palmer says the Irish Moss problem only happens with beers heavy in extract, I bottled a barleywine with 9 lbs of malt extract a couple weeks ago that I Irish Mossed. I guess we'll find out soon.

I use whirfloc and gelatin on all my beers. Never had an issue and always score well in aroma, flavor and clarity in competitions. Received particularly good scores and comments for hop aroma and clarity on this one.

TitsUp_Plaque.jpg

And nothing is more pleasing than a clean beer.

10Der_3.jpg

With a rich frothy head.

10Der_1.jpg

In theory, you could pull out proteins with Irish Moss that contribute to head retention and flavor, but as BierMuncher just stated...

I was actually thinking about you Biermuncher when I was debating the gelatin. Because I've read a lot of your threads, especially on gelatin and even tried your 'Cream o' 3 grains' recipe and your beers look and I can only imagine taste amazing!

So I do have some skepticism as well, just wanted to hear some thoughts from others.

As an anecdote, Russian River Brewing Company uses gelatin at the pub. Anyone who has had Pliny the Younger (let alone Pliny the Elder) knows there isn't an aroma problem with those beers.

I personally have noted some loss of hop flavour and aroma from gelatin, but it was with sub 1.045 bitters that are already lightly hopped. I now use 1/4 of a packet for 5 gallons and there's very little difference in the beers (they still have flawless clarity though), at least not enough that I could pick it up blind, I think.

I personally have noted some loss of hop flavour and aroma from gelatin, but it was with sub 1.045 bitters that are already lightly hopped. I now use 1/4 of a packet for 5 gallons and there's very little difference in the beers (they still have flawless clarity though), at least not enough that I could pick it up blind, I think.

I was thinking maybe being a little modest first time around using gelatin especially since I used whirfloc and irish moss..

On a side note.. still reminiscing over the fact that Biermuncher posted in my thread :rockin:

I have probably learned more from his posts than any other member and resource (aside from Yooper and Revvy) :tank:

I use half a whirlfloc tablet now instead of a whole one, and it seems to help minimize the head retention issue. I may even try a quarter of a tablet. It seems more than enough for a 5 gallon batch.

Well their are other compensations if it does affect it, add some flaked oats or a little extra hops.. I'm sure it is not that extensive to make a BAD beer. you know. I wonder if it is noticeable to the trained or untamed palate.

I definitely think an experiment is in order. You should split the batch and do a few different finings. One whirfloc, one irish moss, one gelatin, isinglass if you want to. and a control of course with no fining at all.

Already getting on that with my accomplice Jsmith :D

If you want check out our 'analyzing the benefits of continuously hopping' thread. Well, it is really his I'm just kind of piggybacking and a stout participant :mug:

I'm already on that, just got my shipment in the mail from him!

Yeah dude! Me too man, still waiting.. I'm kind of out their so I figure it will take a little more time for the brews to arrive.

A little :off: from this thread but my pale ale (or strong English bitter) shouldn't be too much longer for the 'continuous hopping' experiment. Synonymous of the double IPA, IPA (both Jsmith), and the regular pale ale I'm contributing. :cross:

Back