IPOD Sucks!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Have a mac laptop. LOVE IT!!!!!! Never going back.

Have a sansa and zen creative mp3 player. thanks to XNJB, all is beautiful. Move songs in and around itunes anywhere I want.

I have had 2 moments of absolute HORROR in the last 24 hours.

The first is when my younger daughter, ZOE came into our room asking to sleep with us. "No Honey" I told her, "go back to your bed please."

"But SARAH isn't in her bed" she says.............

"Where is she?" I asked.

"She's just gone" she says..........

I leaped out of bed so fast I almost killed myself falling, only to find SARAH asleep in her bed........wtf??

Pretty bad, but almost worse, was when I plugged my recently deceased mom's IPOD into my mac and they freaking knew each other.....

My otherwise obedient and awesome mac was like,"Hey IPOD! let me open itunes for you! There, how's that? Comfy???? Good. Now let's phuck with your new owner."

So itunes, which has somewhat of a mind of it's own, but which has been beaten utterly into submission until now says"This ipod is synced with somebody else's mac!!!Do you want me to erase everything in your ipod, or do you want me to just erase everything in itunes? Or should I peek in and see what is ITUNES purchased and sanctified to be played on your mac on with that there new ipod thingy? Or maybe you want me to just phuck your sister and then pee in your mouth?"

How do I hack this piece of **** and make it obey before I throw it out into the street?

I'm not judging anyone else, but I didn't do napster(when it was free) or bit torrent or anything else. these songs are MINE. And I feel like my Mom's songs were bought and paid for too.

I understand apple's motives, but PHUCK THIS.

You are allowed to share songs between a certain number of computers, I believe its 3. I think you just need to learn to tame your ipod. What exactly were you trying to do by plugging a different ipod into your computer anyway?

I just lost everything myself when hooking up to my wife's computer. It took forever to get it all transferred from my computer to hers, so the iPod will stay with her pc from now on. Bugs me that I have the "Do not let ipod sync automatically" yet it does. I have gotten used to itunes, but it has been a struggle. I can't count the number of times I have doubled my music library with duplicates on accident.

Easy solution is don't hook up foreign iPods to your Mac and if you aren't sure, just cancel the sync.

Cancelled the sync of course. But I want to move songs from and to the IPOD.

You are allowed to share songs between a certain number of computers, I believe its 3. I think you just need to learn to tame your ipod. What exactly were you trying to do by plugging a different ipod into your computer anyway?

Good info. will it still question songs not purchased straight from itunes?

I just lost everything myself when hooking up to my wife's computer. It took forever to get it all transferred from my computer to hers, so the iPod will stay with her pc from now on. Bugs me that I have the "Do not let ipod sync automatically" yet it does. I have gotten used to itunes, but it has been a struggle. I can't count the number of times I have doubled my music library with duplicates on accident.

The mac is good about that. Almost nothing happens "automatically" other than minor system maintenance.

There are lots of free downloads that claim to workaround the apple curse, but I hoped someone here had some experience with 1 they would recommend.

Otherwise my zen is 30 gig and slaps itunes around just fine. More space than I need, but I figured a free ipod could be nice.

Well that's your problem. The way the ipod is set up it is not to be used as a USB stick to share music or files. You can't pull stuff off an ipod.

Well that's your problem. The way the ipod is set up it is not to be used as a USB stick to share music or files. You can't pull stuff off an ipod.

You most certainly can. I have a PC and I can view all of my Ipod songs. THe music folder is hidden, once you unhide it you can use it like a usb stick. I had to do this when I married my wife and wanted to centralize our music.

p.s. cheezydemon you don't own the stuff you buy from iTunes.

if you don't want iTunes to start when you plug in your mom's iPod simply tell it not to. select your mom's iPod from the list on the left. it should bring up the summery screen. at the bottom there are a number of check boxes. one says "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected" simply uncheck that box. this will prevent your mac from starting iTunes whenever you connect the iPod to it.

now as far as it being synched to another computer this is a common problem. it will never ask to delete stuff off your Mac only the stuff on the ipod. if you want to transfer the stuff on the ipod to your computer you have a couple options. command click the ipod on the left and select "transfer purchases" this should download all the purchases to your Mac. you may need to sign into your mom's iTunes account.

your second more complicated solution is to have your mac go get the files of your mom's computer. on both your Mac and your mom's computer you have to turn on "home sharing" its under the advanced menu (on PC not sure about Mac). both computers have to be on and signed into the same account at the same time (and possibly connected to the same network). then simple tell yours to go get all the files off your mom's computer.

in any event your mom's songs are still alive and well on her computer so they are not lost if your Mac wipes her iPod. all you wold have to do is simply synch the ipod with your mom's computer again and presto the songs would be back.

It is crazy how many intelligent people allow ipods to grab them by the nose and lead them like sheep.

My sansa is drag and drop ready with no additional software to and from itunes.

Apple? I will never own a PC computer again. But I will never pay money for an iphone or an ipod either.

Back