iPhone guys - Feedback please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbs

Reaction score
Update:

Well, as a couple people in this thread pointed out, the guys behind BA aren't the greatest people to deal with. I never did end up getting permission to release the app to the public in original form, but I made some modifications which should be perfectly legal (on my end).

To get the new app, you'll have to have your phone jailbroken, have Cydia, and be at version 3.0 or greater. I'm actually not sure if it will work on 3.1, so it'd be great if someone with 3.1 could test it out for me.

As of right now, this app is definitely BETA. If you encounter a bug, let me know and I'll do my best to fix it up quickly.

Install instructions (Note: You must be jailbroken to install/use this app!):
1. Open Cydia and hit the 'Manage' tab and then choose 'Sources'
2. Hit the 'Edit' button in the navbar and then hit 'Add'
3. Enter http://app.mobilebrews.com/cydia in as the repository and add it
4. Go to the 'Changes' tab in the bottom and install BrewFinder (can also be found by searching).
5. Use the app :)

Yet another note: On some phones, the app hasn't been showing up on the home screen after installing. If that's the case, try reinstalling in Cydia and it should show up.

Here are some screenshots:

1.PNG

Search page

2.PNG

Preferences page - select your search site

3ba.PNG

Searching BeerAdvocate for 'Stone IPA'

3rb.PNG

Searching RateBeer for 'Stone IPA'

4ba.PNG

Redirecting to requested beer on BeerAdvoate's website

4rb.PNG

Redirecting to requested beer on RateBeer's website

Hey everyone!

Ok, so I've been intermittently working on an iPhone webapp that may or may not make it into production...

I'll start by saying that I'm a big fan of trying a lot of different kinds of beer, but at the same time, I hate finding out that I what I bought sucks. In its current form, the webapp allows you to search for a certain beer/brewery and provides a rating from BeerAdvocate.com.

Load up safari and visit 'findgoodbeer.com' from your iPhone/iPod touch and let me know what you think. Here are some questions to consider:

1. Would you use it?
2. How were the search results (did it find what you were looking for)?
3. Is it easy to use?

As of right now, the code is pretty dirty and probably won't work fully in most desktop browsers (especially IE) so you'll need an iPhone/iPod touch to get the real experience.

Hey Man,

This is something I have actually been looking for, when I cruising through my local import shop and see new brews I like to hit up BA and search their website but having something like this that is mobile browser friendly is great, it's much faster than going to BA on the phone and testing it.

This is very easy to use but I don't know if it's because of my background in technical computer/networking.

This search engine seems to be fast and to the point, great job I will definitely be using it.

Just tried here at work using a desktop comp with IE. Wasnt the prettiest site ever but still functioned. I gotta say that I like the idea you have. Even though I dont always agree with some of BA's grades its still pretty cool. I plan on getting and iphone as soon as my contract with VZ runs out and I would def get this app.

Thanks a bunch guys!

With the number of times I go to the store looking for a new beer to try, I really started to see the need for something that was a bit more mobile-friendly than a search on BeerAdvocate. I've used it a couple times since then and so far I'm pretty happy with the results.

Keep the feedback coming :)

Just tried here at work using a desktop comp with IE. Wasnt the prettiest site ever but still functioned.
I did a quick test with IE just for the fun of it and found that the 'Get More Results' function didn't work properly. Once I finish up testing, I'll probably restrict the site to the iPhone browser only for functionality sake. Plus, if you're on a desktop, you can just go to BeerAdvocate :)

It's a good app but I don't particularly care what others say about beer. There are some beers that got RAVE reviews that on my humble palate absolutely suck.

So - would I use it? Probably not... but don't let me hold you back... it is a good app and I am sure others would find it useful.

Out-f'ing-standing

I just bookmarked it.

What does the future hold for this fine app?

Thanks a bunch :)

Not sure what's going to happen future wise yet. My main goal was ease of use so I don't want it to become cluttered with too many "features."

I tested it on my LG Dare and it was pretty sweet. I dont know if I am the type of person to stand in front of the beer display and punch away at my phone, but if i was, this site would rule!

First, thanks for creating this. I can see it being pretty useful with some changes.

I'm the kind of person that would use your site or something like it. I've browsed Beer Advocate while standing in the beer aisle before. The people working my usual beer store aren't knowledgeable enough to be much help. However, I don't know that I would use the site in its current form.

I like it because it's simple so it loads quickly even on an EDGE network (no 3G here yet). Also, the interface is large enough to be useful without a lot of zooming.

I guess I'd be more likely to use it if it presented more information. I know you want to keep it light weight, but I won't make buying decisions based solely on the Beer Advocate grade. I might rule out a beer if it gets a straight up F, but beyond that, I'd click through to Beer Advocate and read some of the reviews and other details.

To keep it light, but make it more useful, I'd display some of their statistical information or at least the number of reviews. I'd also show the style and ABV - neither is always apparent from packaging. Maybe show the brothers' grade along with the users' grade. Basically, I would include more of the info from the top of their review pages.

I'm also wondering if this is something that will be around for a while. Is Beer Advocate okay with you using their data? Even if they don't notice for now, if your app gets popular they may pull the plug on it because that will show up in their logs.

If they are willing to work with you, maybe even to help design a mobile friendly version of their site, it would be nice to have a way to access the actual reviews in the larger format that your site uses. No images, large text, etc. Maybe the summary as it appears on their site (minus the image) with a scrolling frame below it for the reviews.

Anyway, looks good so far and I do think it could be useful.

Jeremy

So can I tell my friends about it?
Please do :)

I guess I'd be more likely to use it if it presented more information. I know you want to keep it light weight, but I won't make buying decisions based solely on the Beer Advocate grade. I might rule out a beer if it gets a straight up F, but beyond that, I'd click through to Beer Advocate and read some of the reviews and other details.

To keep it light, but make it more useful, I'd display some of their statistical information or at least the number of reviews. I'd also show the style and ABV - neither is always apparent from packaging. Maybe show the brothers' grade along with the users' grade. Basically, I would include more of the info from the top of their review pages.

The number of reviews should already be displayed. You can find it under the grade "box." I will probably add in the Style/ABV at some point in the near future as well.

I'm also wondering if this is something that will be around for a while. Is Beer Advocate okay with you using their data? Even if they don't notice for now, if your app gets popular they may pull the plug on it because that will show up in their logs.

I've emailed them but have yet to hear back. That's one of the reasons why I haven't really continued working on it. I'd like to get a formal decision from them first.

I tried my best to make it known that they are providing the ratings and they are linked on every page but the search page.

I appreciate you taking the time to type this out, I found it to be a very helpful bit of feedback.

The ap works fine but I'm not sure i'd ever use it. Other than the rating which I don't put much grain in the beer brands ap does the same thing

The ap works fine but I'm not sure i'd ever use it. Other than the rating which I don't put much grain in the beer brands ap does the same thing
My problem with the beer-related AppStore apps is that they use their own databases. For that reason alone, they can't even compare with sites like BeerAdvocate.

The number of reviews should already be displayed. You can find it under the grade "box."
Cool. I guess I didn't see it or remember it being there as I only took a quick look at the site.

I've emailed them but have yet to hear back. That's one of the reasons why I haven't really continued working on it. I'd like to get a formal decision from them first.
Good plan. I did a bit of searching just to see if they had any sort of mobile site or iPhone app. They don't seem to, but their forum did have a post from 2007 saying they were thinking of doing a mobile version of the site. Maybe you could partner with them to actually make that happen. Or maybe they are (slowly) working on it and they'll ignore your email for liability reasons as many companies do with unsolicited ideas. I do hope it works out though. Good luck.

Uptime time!

Well, as a couple people in this thread pointed out, the guys behind BA aren't the greatest people to deal with. I never did end up getting permission to release the app to the public in original form, but I made some modifications which should be perfectly legal (on my end).

To get the new app, you'll have to have your phone jailbroken, have Cydia, and be at version 3.0 or greater. I'm actually not sure if it will work on 3.1, so it'd be great if someone with 3.1 could test it out for me.

As of right now, this app is definitely BETA. If you encounter a bug, let me know and I'll do my best to fix it up quickly.

Install instructions (Note: You must be jailbroken to install/use this app!):
1. Open Cydia and hit the 'Manage' tab and then choose 'Sources'
2. Hit the 'Edit' button in the navbar and then hit 'Add'
3. Enter http://app.mobilebrews.com/cydia in as the repository and add it
4. Go to the 'Changes' tab in the bottom and install BrewFinder (can also be found by searching).
5. Use the app :)

Yet another note: On some phones, the app hasn't been showing up on the home screen after installing. If that's the case, try reinstalling in Cydia and it should show up.

Here are some screenshots:

1.PNG

Search page

2.PNG

Preferences page - select your search site

3ba.PNG

Searching BeerAdvocate for 'Stone IPA'

3rb.PNG

Searching RateBeer for 'Stone IPA'

4ba.PNG

Redirecting to requested beer on BeerAdvoate's website

4rb.PNG

Redirecting to requested beer on RateBeer's website

Oh, be sure to let me know if you install it! Since it's beta, I need all the feedback I can get :)

No takers? I could really use some testers. This won't mess up your phone at all, it's just an app and only makes a file in the /Applications folder. No mobile substrate extensions or anything else...

Don't have a jailbroken phone or I'd be all over it. I remember trying your old web app a while back and liked how it was shaking up.

Nice, just installed it. One feature request. Allow me to scroll horizontally, or how about landscape mode? Its nice to be able to do a quick search, but reading the first few characters on each line is kinda meh.

Nice, just installed it. One feature request. Allow me to scroll horizontally, or how about landscape mode? Its nice to be able to do a quick search, but reading the first few characters on each line is kinda meh.

I'm actually working on that. The final page scrolling is a little weird at the moment but it works if all you're after is a quick rating. Hopefully I'll have a fix for this issue shortly.

Thanks for trying it out :)

Edit: Just uploaded a new build to Cydia. It allows for landscape viewing on any page past the initial search page. The scrolling will hopefully be fixed in a later update.

Installing...

Geez... I need to reorganize my apps, and put all my beer apps together. I think I have a screen full.

It's working fine for me. Installed no problem.

I actually got it to scroll horizontally a couple times, but it's not as fluid as what I'm used to.

This is definitely going to be helpful next time I'm buying beer.

I'm actually working on that. The final page scrolling is a little weird at the moment but it works if all you're after is a quick rating. Hopefully I'll have a fix for this issue shortly.

Thanks for trying it out :)

Edit: Just uploaded a new build to Cydia. It allows for landscape viewing on any page past the initial search page. The scrolling will hopefully be fixed in a later update.

Just snagged the new build, very nice. Still cant real all of beeradvocate, but can get the jist of it. Keep up the good work, I will be using this next time I am at Total Wine!

Another new build up (0.4). This build fixes the issues on the last page and makes the entire app work in landscape if you like that better.

You can now pinch to zoom on the actual webpage just like you would in safari.

Thanks for testing!

Seems to work fine on my phone after updating to 3.1.2. Good work!

Thanks James :)

Theres an issue right now regarding accented characters (they show up strange), but that should be resolved within a couple days.

I hope to put it on a larger repo like MMI or BigBoss soon.

This is now up on the ModMyI Cydia repo so you won't have to add the source to install it. The accented characters bug has also been fixed :)

Thanks to everyone who tried it out before hand :)

Hey guys,

This app is now in the App Store! Unfortunately, it only supports iOS 4 right now, but I already have an update waiting for approval that will fix that.

Oh, and it's free.

Search 'Beer Reviews' in the app store on your iOS 4 device or click here:

Beer Reviews

Let me know what you think!

I have a couple ideas for some future updates but I'll have to do more testing before I know for sure.

The app was completely rewritten from the ground up compared to the one that was posted when I started this thread. If you tried the first one and didn't like it, try the App Store version. It should be much faster :mug:

If any of you guys have tried and like the app, I'd really appreciate it if you could leave me a review.

I know the app is simple, but unfortunately due to BA's restrictions, I can't really do much more. I do plan on adding a wish list so you can save beers that you want to try in the future. I'm also experimenting with a nearby feature that would help you find beers from local breweries.

If anyone has any ideas that they'd like to see, please let me know. Any reviews/feedback are GREATLY appreciated!

You should update your first post and remove the jailbreak requirements. I skipped over this thread last week because I saw in the first post that jailbreaking was required. I skimmed through it again today to realize that this is now available through the app store - so I will go download it now!

Back