Iphone Brew App

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxofRain

Reaction score
This isn't even in beta yet but I thought some people with iPhones might be interested for future use. I came across this when looking for OSX brewing software. Now if I can only find something like this for my blackberry...

Man I would really be interested myself in some apps like those for homebrewing that I could use on my IPod Touch. It would nice to be able to carry recipes with me or use the tools and come up with new ones while not at home.

It would also be nice to have some of the more common calculators readily available as well since I do not have brewing software I just use spreadsheets in a notebook for record keeping
Additionally if these apps are good as we hope I would even pay for it!

This app hit the App store last night, I am buying it now and will report back after a bit of use. I will tell you right now I am kind of upset it isn't a recipe formulator, but I will hold off all other judgment till I have played with it a bit.

I bought the app too and I'm more or less satisfied. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to buy Beersmith for the iphone with the ability to transfer recipes back and forth, but this one has a lot of useful tools. It does unit conversion, mash temp calculatoin, SRM, IBU, carb pressure calculation, attenuation, sg calculation, refractometer (I don't have one, so I didn't check this part out), pitching rate calculator, nutrition calculator, and evaporation calculator. I really like all of these tools as they are in Beersmith, but it just isn't as convenient to carry my laptop around with me all the time. I'm thinking I'm going to get a lot of use out of this one.

I havn't bought anything yet but I am looking forward to getting whatever shakes out to be a decent app. I use the web page to calculate my mash temps right now and if I could get that with a brew log and perhaps a hop alarm/timer for the brew/mash that would be Hawt.

I bought the app too and I'm more or less satisfied. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to buy Beersmith for the iphone with the ability to transfer recipes back and forth, but this one has a lot of useful tools. It does unit conversion, mash temp calculatoin, SRM, IBU, carb pressure calculation, attenuation, sg calculation, refractometer (I don't have one, so I didn't check this part out), pitching rate calculator, nutrition calculator, and evaporation calculator. I really like all of these tools as they are in Beersmith, but it just isn't as convenient to carry my laptop around with me all the time. I'm thinking I'm going to get a lot of use out of this one.
I agree, Beersmith on the iPhone is really what I was looking for, but if you take this for what it is, it should hold me over till BrewingBuddy or something better comes along. It looks great, is easy to use and covers most of the calculations you would need while at club meeting or what have you. My favorite part is the SRM calculator, it has a very easy to use slide bar that you can adjust till you match the color with your beer.
photo.jpg

There is a couple of small things I would change. First off, and it would be simple, I would like the style CO2 volumes added to the carbonation calculator. When I am trying to weight sugar or set my regulator, it is nice to be able to just bust this out, but if I don't know what the style calls for I don't know what to put in for Vols. CO2. The other change I would like to see is in the Bitterness calculator. This is great in that it offers the Tinseth, Daniels, Rager, and Garetz formulations, but could be improved by allowing multiple hop additions. If I am at the homebrew shop and I am trying to figure out how much hops I need once I have the AA%, it would take me quite a while to put in each addition manually. You already have all of the wort specs in, just allow a few more additions of time and weight.

Overall I think it is a very useful app for when I am out and about, especially at club meetings and the homebrew shop. However, when I am at home I will be sticking with Beersmith for all me brewing needs.

I went ahead and bought the BrewMath app...for the dilution/evap tool alone.

I'll use this in the coming days and write up my thoughts.

While it doesn't have everything I want in a brew app, it is certainly a great start!!!

Back