IPA with Galena and Galaxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telp

Reaction score
I am trying to concoct my first recipe and have recently used galaxy hops in my last beer and loved the way it turned out. I am currently waiting on my Vienna/Galena SMaSH and assuming I like it, have started formulating a recipe mixing the two. I was wondering if anyone had done an IPA with these two hops and whether they clash or anything. Thanks for your input. :)

I brewed something very similar, 1 oz Galena and 7 oz Galaxy. Drinking one now and it's absolutely fantastic!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/do-you-like-my-galaxy-ipa-446111/

So you dry hopped with 5 oz of the galaxy? Would it be too much to add equal parts of galaxy and galena at equal times? For example, a .5oz addition of both types at the 60 minute mark, 30, 15, etc? I haven't necessarily finished my hop schedule but I definitely don't know what I'm doing (but what better way to learn). :tank:

There is no particular reason for my interest in doing that. Just curious how that would work out.

I think after all was said and done, I only dry hopped with 2 oz and 5 oz in the boil.
1oz Galena @ 60
1oz @ 15
2oz @ 10
2oz @ 0
2 oz dryhop

I can't speak for Galena other than bittering and it appears that it's mainly used for that purpose. Although any hop can be used for bittering and aroma/flavor, I wanted the Galaxy to be the hero of this IPA, which actually turned into an IIPA @ 7.64% before bottling due to a super high US05 yeast attenuation.

I think after all was said and done, I only dry hopped with 2 oz and 5 oz in the boil.
1oz Galena @ 60
1oz @ 15
2oz @ 10
2oz @ 0
2 oz dryhop

I can't speak for Galena other than bittering and it appears that it's mainly used for that purpose. Although any hop can be used for bittering and aroma/flavor, I wanted the Galaxy to be the hero of this IPA, which actually turned into an IIPA @ 7.64% before bottling due to a super high US05 yeast attenuation.

Thanks for your input. I'll try a couple 1 gallon batches of this before I get in over my head. :mug:

Back