IPA SimArillo - Critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
Hey guys, Making an IPA this weekend with some leftover hops. What I have is Amarillo, Simcoe, Nugget, and Nelson. I am thinking a Simcoe Amarillo combo would be great, but what do you think? Here is the recipe I have come up with so far, but any help would be appreciated.

12 gallon batch, 60% efficiency
30 lb Pale 2-Row 78.9%
6 lb Munich 10L 15.8%
2 lb Crystal 20L 5.3%
38 lb Total
Hops

2 oz Nugget 60 min
1 oz Simcoe 20 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
2 oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz Simcoe 0 min
2 oz Amarillo 0 min

Thanks guys,

I love those two hops together, however, for an IPA, I would probably double the hops and add a big hop dry hop addition. My next IPA will have about 6 oz. dry hops and 6 oz. in the kettle--I do 5 gallon batches.

I was going to dry hop, but haven't decided on an amount yet, so I left that out. I don't want to get crazy with the hops, shooting for between 65-75 on IBU. This comes out around 68.

I'd move that 20 minute addition to later - maybe add to the 0 addition. Other than that, looks good! I really like those two together too.

I might adjust a couple of things with the hops. If it were me I would consider moving the 20 min Simcoe and half of the 10 min Amarillo to either the flame out addition or use them as a dry hop.

I have never used the Nelson so I am not sure how it would play with the Simcoe and the Amarillo as a flameout or dry hop addition.

By moving the 20 min to 0, that would cut my IBU's down to 55 versus 68. Out of curiosity, what is everyone's ideal IBU's for IPA's?

Looks good, but I think everyone is trying to tell you that it's very 'old school'. Like a recipe you'd see in 2003.

Most people these days would recommend getting more flavor and aroma by putting all the post-60 minute hops in at flameout with a hopstand and dry hop. If you're concerned about having enough bitterness, it's a lot more efficient to put in a little more at 60 than some at 20.

Also dry hops are absolutely essential for an IPA. No way to get that punchy aroma without them.

By moving the 20 min to 0, that would cut my IBU's down to 55 versus 68. Out of curiosity, what is everyone's ideal IBU's for IPA's?

Meh. Calculated IBUs are pretty approximate. My wort boils at 199 and I can use 2 oz. Of magnum and still wish for more bitterness. My double IPAS usually have an OG around 1.072 and I calculate 120 plus IBUs.

Meh. Calculated IBUs are pretty approximate. My wort boils at 199 and I can use 2 oz. Of magnum and still wish for more bitterness. My double IPAS usually have an OG around 1.072 and I calculate 120 plus IBUs.

Looks good, but I think everyone is trying to tell you that it's very 'old school'. Like a recipe you'd see in 2003.

Most people these days would recommend getting more flavor and aroma by putting all the post-60 minute hops in at flameout with a hopstand and dry hop. If you're concerned about having enough bitterness, it's a lot more efficient to put in a little more at 60 than some at 20.

Also dry hops are absolutely essential for an IPA. No way to get that punchy aroma without them.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I'll probably bump up the Nugget just a bit, at 60, add the 20 of Simcoe to the 0 addition. Still haven't quite figured out the dry hopping, but I think it will be double dry hopped with Simcoe, Amarillo, and possibly Nelson.

I agree on moving the additions to emphasize flameout additions. Also, you should look into what a "hopstand" is. Thats the #1 thing that improved my IPAs. At a homebrew level, it mimics the long whirlpool additions that commercial breweries use. Check out my article I wrote for HBT
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/not-your-fathers-ipa-brewing-ipas.html

Thanks for the tip, I was just reading your article when you posted that. I usually add a hops during the whirlpool, but my whirlpool usually only lasts 20 minutes. I'll bump up the time on it, and let the hops steep a little more. Great article by the way.

Ok, here is the hopefully finalized brew day recipe. Still haven't hammered down a dry hop yet, but I have some time on that. What do you guys think of this? Looks like IBU's will be around 60, which I am hoping will be a good balance of bittering.

30 lb Pale 2-Row 78.9%
6 lb Munich 10L 15.8%
2 lb Crystal 20L 5.3%

2.25 oz Nugget 60 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
2 oz Amarillo 10 min
2.25 oz Simcoe Flameout
2.75 oz Amarillo Flameout

I would like to share a link with you. This guy talks about the different hop varieties and how well things work together, and gives some suggestions on what not to over do or add together.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUR6v7Z0yNM[/ame]

Now one thing I picked up that made me want to bring this to you is that you can over do Mosaic. I didn't catch what he was saying about that, but it was around 31-32 mins. Just check it out and let this hop nerd help you in your recipe. I agree with Moop, as usual, be careful..

I would like to share a link with you. This guy talks about the different hop varieties and how well things work together, and gives some suggestions on what not to over do or add together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUR6v7Z0yNM

Now one thing I picked up that made me want to bring this to you is that you can over do Mosaic. I didn't catch what he was saying about that, but it was around 31-32 mins. Just check it out and let this hop nerd help you in your recipe. I agree with Moop, as usual, be careful..

He was talking about Mosaic, which you said as well, but I am not using Mosaic. Are you referencing this, because it is a relative of Simcoe?

Ok, here is the hopefully finalized brew day recipe. Still haven't hammered down a dry hop yet, but I have some time on that. What do you guys think of this? Looks like IBU's will be around 60, which I am hoping will be a good balance of bittering.

30 lb Pale 2-Row 78.9%
6 lb Munich 10L 15.8%
2 lb Crystal 20L 5.3%

2.25 oz Nugget 60 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
2 oz Amarillo 10 min
2.25 oz Simcoe Flameout
2.75 oz Amarillo Flameout

Looks great, and for the dry hops there's no reason to overthink it. Just use the same as you did for the late boil/flameout additions.

Haha, my mistake. I was tired when I posted this and I meant it for another thread where the guy is mixing all kinds of hops together. Please forgive me.

No worries, I figured while reading it, that you had multiple pages open. Thanks for the video though, lots of valuable info there.

I am changing this batch a bit, and redoing it on Saturday night. My previous batch got some infection that made it smell like cider, and had absolutely no body, and just a tart watery taste. I had a feeling this batch would be questionable, because I pitched way to high.
So, here is the new recipe...Let me know what you think. It will be a 13 gal batch. I'll dry hop it pretty heavily with both Simcoe, and Amarillo. I'm also trying to get rid of Crystal, so going with Biscuit, and Munich.

30 lb Pale 2-Row 85.7%
4 lb Munich 10L 11.4%
1 lb Biscuit 2.9%
35 lb Total
Hops
2.75 oz Nugget 60 min
1.5 oz Simcoe 10 min
2.25 oz Amarillo 10 min
2.5 oz Simcoe Whirlpool
3 oz Amarillo Whirlpool

Starter of A18 Joystick - Ferment at 62
Mash at 150

At my 70% efficiency, this comes out to 6.8 abv and 71 ibus.

Back