IPA Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mona

Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking to brew an IPA for a friend of mine. I like an IPA in any flavor from Pliney the Elder to malty low hop versions. However he knows that he likes a malt forward low to mid IBU type. He is also not into the piney flavors of hops more the spicy type. Does anybody on here have a recipe in mind?

Malt forward
low IBUs
no to pine, yes to spicy (noble) hops

you sure he likes IPAs?
He is new to the IPA world. I am working on converting this guy from mass produced garbage, we all know of whom I speak, into the world of micro beer and home brew. So not sure what he likes but since I brew I decided to try and make him something he may like.

He is new to the IPA world. I am working on converting this guy from mass produced garbage, we all know of whom I speak, into the world of micro beer and home brew. So not sure what he likes but since I brew I decided to try and make him something he may like.

Eh, I mean I'm not a fan of the big guys as much but calling it garbage is a bit harsh. Drink what you like.

Eh, I mean I'm not a fan of the big guys as much but calling it garbage is a bit harsh. Drink what you like.
You are right. One mans garbage is another mans treasure. However I would much rather drink water than to ever go back to what I consider swill. Life is too short to drink bad beer.
But to each their own.

If you're trying to convert him from garbage (there I said it too) and he really isnt into the IPA thing yet, then start smaller and let him work his way up. Maybe start with an APA (maybe an Extra APA to boost the hoppiness a bit) so he can get that malt backbone with more subtle hops? You could try something like a SN Pale Ale clone and see what he thinks. Or try Da Yoopers House Pale Ale. Great malty backbone and Im pretty sure she single hops it, so you could pretty much use any hops you want to get him the spice that he likes

If you're trying to convert him from garbage (there I said it too) and he really isnt into the IPA thing yet, then start smaller and let him work his way up. Maybe start with an APA (maybe an Extra APA to boost the hoppiness a bit) so he can get that malt backbone with more subtle hops? You could try something like a SN Pale Ale clone and see what he thinks. Or try Da Yoopers House Pale Ale. Great malty backbone and Im pretty sure she single hops it, so you could pretty much use any hops you want to get him the spice that he likes
Ha ha. You said garbage. :)
He is really wanting to go to the IPA kick but I like your idea of a SN Pale. As a matter of fact I am going to be harvesting the Chico yeast from a couple of SN Pale Ale this weekend. I am thinking about going with using Magnum to bitter, Columbus for flavor and Golding and Columbus for aroma.

Ha ha. You said garbage. :)
He is really wanting to go to the IPA kick but I like your idea of a SN Pale. As a matter of fact I am going to be harvesting the Chico yeast from a couple of SN Pale Ale this weekend. I am thinking about going with using Magnum to bitter, Columbus for flavor and Golding and Columbus for aroma.

Ya that would work! Then just dry hop the snot out of it to make it more of an Extra Pale and it would exactly fit what he wants (just dont tell him its a pale :D)

Latest posts

Back