IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSURaider41

Reaction score
Here is the current recipe for my IPA... let me know what you think and what might need some changes. Still trying to work on my recipe creation ability.

Sawyer Point IPA
5.5 gallons
All-Grain

Est. OG: 1.058
Est. FG: 1.013
Est. Color: 7.9 SRM
Est. IBU: 65.9

8 lbs. 2 row
3 lbs. CaraPils
2 lbs. Munich

1 oz. Chinook (60 min)
1 oz. Chinook (30 min)
1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
2 oz. Cluster (Dry Hop)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

3lbs of crystal is too much. Crystal malts add unfermentable sugars. Also, 2 lbs of Munich will make a very malty beer if that's what you're going for.

A good base IPA Recipe includes ~11lbs base malt, and 1 lb crystal (I like C40 for IPA). You can sub in .5 to 1 lb of Munich to add body and depth (melanoidins). For the hops, use an online calc (beer calculus is free) to achieve your desired IBUs, I like them right around 60. I try to get around 20 IBUs from the first addition and all the rest from 10, 5 and 1 minute additions. This will give you lots of hop flavor and aroma without being super bitter. A 30 minute addition doesn't really do much but inefficiently add IBUs without adding any flavor. Dry hopping is always good for an IPA.

Ok, here goes this...

11 lb 2 row
1 lb 40L
.5 lb Munich

1 oz. Chinook (60 min)
2 oz. Cascade (10 min)
2 oz. Cluster (5 min)
2 oz. Cluster (Dry Hop)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Might be easier to find 60l and just use a touch. But 40 is ok. The cluster will give a nice black currant flavor if that's what your looking for. Looks solid I say brew it and see how you like it.

Much better. This is a great place to start. When you make it again, keep in mind that you can make it darker or lighter if you want by using different crystal malts. You can even combine to make very subtle changes. For example if you wanted to add a touch more color you could do .75 lb C40 and .25 lb C60. Conversely, you could do .75 lb C40 and .25 lb C15 to get a slightly lighter color. The hops look okay as well, you are getting roughly 33 IBUs from the first addition which is slightly higher than I would do but it's a great place to start. Also, I'd mash this at 152F. Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back