IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8_lives

Reaction score
I have always made clones or recipes I have found online which has been hit or miss. I decided it was time for me to make my own recipe and really dial in what I like in a beer. The following is for a American IPA with tropical/grapefruit hop profile. I have the Citra and Cascade on hand so I was hoping to use them in achieving my goal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

grains
7lbs pale malt, maris otter
5lbs pale malt (2 row)
1.25lbs crystal 40L

Hops
1.0oz Cenntenial - first wort hoping 60 minutes
.50oz Citra - boil 10 minutes
1.0oz Cascade - boil 10 minutes
2.0oz Citra - boil 5 minutes
1.0oz Citra - boil 0 minutes

1.0oz Citra - dry hop 7 days
1.0oz Mosaic - dry hop 7 days

Yeast/others
Whirlfloc tablet
Imperial organic yeast - Barbarian(Imperial #A04)

estimated O.G. 1.064
IBU 56.00
color 10.7
estaimated ABV 6.4%

It'll have some sweeter notes with that crystal, but looks good as long as you want that. I'd add at least another oz of late addition hops and concentrate them at between 10 and 0 to maintain your ibu levels.

It'll be good, that's for sure. However that small amount of cascade is going to be completely lost with that much citra in the beer. I made an IPA with a 1:1 ratio of citra and cascade last year which was pretty much all citra. Going forward I usually have a ratio of 0.5:1 citra/other hop if looking for balance.

It'll be good, that's for sure. However that small amount of cascade is going to be completely lost with that much citra in the beer. I made an IPA with a 1:1 ratio of citra and cascade last year which was pretty much all citra. Going forward I usually have a ratio of 0.5:1 citra/other hop if looking for balance.

I feel the same way about citra, it's very overpowering. Not to say that it's a bad hop, but you'll want to reduce the relative amount of citra if you want your other hop varieties to show. For example, I made an IPA with a 2:1 ratio of EXP #07270 to citra, and that was too much citra in the blend for my goal. If I made the beer again, I'd probably go 3:1.

Agree that the cascade will be lost in that mix. Maybe replace with Centennial or Columbus? Also, I'd recommend more whirlpool/flameout hops. Chill it to 170F and drop another oz of hops in. If you cannot whirlpool, give it a good stir and let it steep for 20 minutes. You will increase your IBUs a bit doing this too (maybe 5%?). If you like crazy aroma, up the dry hop too.

Also, that is more crystal than I like - I would probably go with 0.5 lbs, since the caramel flavors can clash with the hops if they are too strong.

Personally, I would cut down crystal to under a pound. Grain choices are awesome, but crystal is high for my liking. More of a hoppy pale ale than an IPA. I do a double with 14 lbs base malt and .7 lbs 40 L and the 40L would be too much if I added any more.

Agree with Cascade getting burried there. Probably a 2 oz flame out addition would be better. Otherwise, that should be pretty solid.

Maybe boil the centennial for 60, skip the 10 minute additions, use the mosaic for a whirlpool at 180, add the cascade/1.5 oz Citra for dry hopping.
I might swap the base Malts and reduce the crystal some also.

Back