IPA not bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabull25

Reaction score
Last month I brewed an all amarillo IPA. It spent 4 weeks in the primary then I bottled it on Sunday. The only problem I had was when I brewed the beer I added half of the dry malt extract with 15 minutes left to boil and couldnt get the wort to boil again after I put in the DME(propane was low or something). Could this be the reason why its not bitter at all?

Could have something to do with it, but we'll need to know how many ounces you used and at what intervals. Also, did you dry hop?

Here is what I did...

1.75 @ 60
1.25 @ 15
1.25 @ 5
.75 @ flameout

and I dry hopped with 1 oz.

Not boiling for 15 minutes would lower the amount of AA extraction you got. Supposing you got no bitterness extracted after you added the DME, you'd still have ~40 IBU assuming you used fresh hops and they were about 8% AA.

Hm it should definitely have some bitterness to it. Are you saying it has absolutely NO bitterness or just minimal (pale ale territory)?

What were the actual AA% for the hops? I received a very small batch of very low Amarillo hops (6%).

Also, how much Extract did you actually use? Can you post the recipe?

Would help with exact numbers

There's a calculation to how much malt you need to add in order to get full hop utilization. Heard it on basic brewing radio... don't remember it though but they did say general half of the extract is enoygh.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Safale - 05
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 days at 63 deg

7lbs Extra Light DME
1/2lb Crystal 40

Steeped in 1.5 gallons of 160 deg water for 20 minutes.

1.75 oz Amarillo 8.6%AA for 60 Min
1.25 oz Amarillo 8.6%AA for for 15 Min
1.25 oz Amarillo 8.6%AA for for 5 Min
.75 oz Amarillo 8.6%AA for at flameout

Amarillo Hops had an AA of 8.6%. I added half of the DME at the begininning and half at 15 left.

Back