IPA --Mash out?--Efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
Trying to increase my efficiency. Only had about 50% on my first all grain IPA. Do most people mash out when making an IPA?, I didn't, and I also sparged way too fast. I see most IPA recipes don't call for a mash out-- is there a reason for this. I really need to amp up my efficiency. Any suggestions when doing an IPA or II IPA.

I made a mash tun out of a 10 gallon water cooler with the filter from a toilet supply line. It actually kept my mash in temp right t 152, so I was happy with that. I definitely collected from first runnings and then sparged way to fast. I know that had a huge impact. I bought the grain already crushed, so i didn't control part. Sparged with 168. collected 6.5 gallons. I had the right numbers, but efficency was low.

If your hitting your numbers then I wouldn't sweat the efficiency number. I would mash off at 170 though just to thin that grist out a bit and let that sugar flow a bit easier.

If you are batch sparging, let it rest about 10 min after adding the sparge water.

Unless you are fly sparging, I don't think the sparge speed matters a whole lot.

EDIT: I see the fly sparge...I have been told to stretch the fly sparge out to 45 min to an hour.

not to steal your thunder on your question but mine is related. I'm having similar issues, efficiency seems low. I'm a newb with 3 5 gallon batches under my belt. first was bucket in bucket. last 2 were cooler with kettle screen. I slowed down the speed at which I sparged this time around but it still was low efficency. Havent drank from the 2nd batch yet as that just got bottled and the third batch is in the primary now. But my first batch came out tasting great! So what is low efficiency really doing other than robbing me of higher alcohol content?

I fly sparge too, slow it down (usually try for 45min, but I mash on the thin side and rarely use a full 5 gallon sparge), and efficiency should go up. I crush my own and have found a pretty good balance with crush and efficiency 73 to 77% on a regular basis... not too shabby on an old corona mill. Went a bit courser on crush after judges picked up astringency issues a few years back.

"So what is low efficiency really doing other than robbing me of higher alcohol content?"
Nothing really, if your consistently low, just add more grain to your recipes.

not to steal your thunder on your question but mine is related. I'm having similar issues, efficiency seems low. I'm a newb with 3 5 gallon batches under my belt. first was bucket in bucket. last 2 were cooler with kettle screen. I slowed down the speed at which I sparged this time around but it still was low efficency. Havent drank from the 2nd batch yet as that just got bottled and the third batch is in the primary now. But my first batch came out tasting great! So what is low efficiency really doing other than robbing me of higher alcohol content?

If your system is less efficient just increase your grain bill to make up for it, on our scale it's an inexpensive adjustment.

Efficiency is just a reference to how much potential your grains have at producing sugar. 100% efficiency would mean you got every last bit of available sugar from the grain. So, low efficiency just means you threw out grains that still had sugar in them that you didn't manage to get out. Low efficiency does not equal bad beer, it just means you have to spend more money on extra grain until you figure out how to get it higher..

Efficiency is just a reference to how much potential your grains have at producing sugar. 100% efficiency would mean you got every last bit of available sugar from the grain. So, low efficiency just means you threw out grains that still had sugar in them that you didn't manage to get out. Low efficiency does not equal bad beer, it just means you have to spend more money on extra grain until you figure out how to get it higher..
Gotcha, so if the price of grain was crazy high and I was a company trying to maximize profits I'd be firing any employes who didn't get me 90% efficiency! makes sense.

In regards to modifying a grain bill. Are there any set rules on how much to increase? lets say i normally use 10lbs of grain and there are 3 different kinds, would I just increase them all by the same percentage to keep things balanced?

Gotcha, so if the price of grain was crazy high and I was a company trying to maximize profits I'd be firing any employes who didn't get me 90% efficiency! makes sense.

In regards to modifying a grain bill. Are there any set rules on how much to increase? lets say i normally use 10lbs of grain and there are 3 different kinds, would I just increase them all by the same percentage to keep things balanced?

Get Beersmith and it will allow you to tweak your grain bill according to your efficiency..

Brewed again yesterday, paid very close attention to my sparge speed. it was incredibly slow, seemingly too slow but my efficency improved dramatically, got it to around 75% What other options do i have if i'm using a 10 gallon round cooler besides a kettle screen?

I've done 5 or 6 extract brews, and decided to try all grain- I have two under my belt now and both times my efficency was REALY low. I batch sparge- does the advice below work for me as well?

I fly sparge too, slow it down (usually try for 45min, but I mash on the thin side and rarely use a full 5 gallon sparge), and efficiency should go up.

Should my sparge time go up above 10 mins? The tutorial I saw said for 10 mins. My volumes were right on, and the temperatures were right- but based on my hydrometer reading and going back in to figure out what my effiency WAS i was down at 45- i had ratched my "planned" efficency to 60. What should i change? I use one of those long torpedo screens in a rectangular cooler. Should I slow down my runnings? how slow is slow on a half ball valve - i had it open what I though would be about 7 degrees.

-Luke

Latest posts

Back