IPA in fermenter for 9 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I could never find the time to bottle my IPA back in April 2019,,,,,,yes that is a long time ago. Well, things are getting back to normal, now my dilemma is bottling the beer or not? It looks fine, but........

I could never find the time to bottle my IPA back in April 2019,,,,,,yes that is a long time ago. Well, things are getting back to normal, now my dilemma is bottling the beer or not? It looks fine, but........
What kind? Basic single IPA?
Maybe add some more dry hops and go for it?
You said April 2019, yes? Or did you mean April 2020?
For 9 months... i dunno. What kind of fermentor? If it was a sealed stainless... maybe. A carboy with a tight seal? A bucket , i would say no.

Pour a sample. Smell it. If it isn't off putting, take a sip. If you're still thinking "I should bottle this" then consider mixing up primer with some neutral bottling yeast and racking the beer off the old yeast cake to a bottling vessel.

Otoh, if you think "this is ok but it could use some up-front character", then indeed consider a short dry-hop round before racking and bottling...

Cheers!

One thing that I have learned from lurking on this site for years is: "nothing that makes beer taste bad will kill you". Taste it, if you think a dry hop would help, try it. Bottle or keg it if you think it is worthwhile. Nobody from the internet can tell you if it smells or tastes good enough to drink.
I always drink my mistakes; it teaches me what not to do next time.
:bigmug:
Cheers and good luck!

Back