IPA Hop Blend - Looking for complimentary hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuchris05

Reaction score
Hi all! I wanted to put together a mix of 4 hops for my next IPA and I'm trying to find 2 additional hops to compliment the Columbus and Citra hops I enjoy and wanted to use. I was thinking of maybe Tettnang for a deeper flavor profile, but I'm lost on the 4th. Are there any preferred hop selections to compliment and balance the really bright and floral taste from the Columbus and Citra?

My latest DIPA uses Columbus for bittering, two late additions of Citra, a Citra hopstand, then dry-hopped with Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo. It's insane!!

Literally, any hop that starts with a "C" will work. Chinook, Cascade, centennial, comet, etc

Also any new fruity hops like Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, Equinox, etc

dont worry too much about mixing hops. It rarely makes something thats not compatible with the others. Its jsut what you like to taste

I definitely think Chinook would go really well with those. I also personally really like a Simcoe and Citra blend, and I can't imagine Columbus wouldn't play well in there.

Basically delicious hops + more delicious hops = delicious hop goodness

I definitely think Chinook would go really well with those. I also personally really like a Simcoe and Citra blend, and I can't imagine Columbus wouldn't play well in there.

Basically delicious hops + more delicious hops = delicious hop goodness

Math checks out. More gooder better hop hops.

Simcoe and Amarillo both complement Citra well in my experience. Not sure you'll get much contribution from Tetttenang with all of the high alpha American hops though.

Redhawk is dead right: a Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, Citra IPA is going to be amazing. Bitter with Warrior or Magnum, then make large late/whirlpool/dryhop charges out of those four and you'll be in heaven. Centennial's aroma is, to me at least, a lot like citra's, and while it is an awesome hop, it may not be exactly what you're looking for.

That said, I think that we get a little too worried about this stuff. Where IPA/Pale hop aromas are concerned, there's the lemony ones, and the not-very-lemony ones. So long as you've got at least one from each category you're good as gold.

Back