IPA Grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilts

Reaction score
I bought a bag of Breiss Aromatic Munich malt, and I'm wondering how much I should use in my grain bill for an IPA.

I was thinking somewhere around 30% aromatic Munich, 68% pale 2 row, and 2% Crystal malt. Is this too much Munich?

If you're gonna go higher on the aromatic malt I'd just straight up omit the crystal. It's gonna really up the malt profile so I'd probably cap it at 10-15% of your grain bill.

So Briess calls their 20L Munich Malt "Aromatic Munich Malt"? I just kegged a Pale Ale that was 19% Avangard 15L Munich Malt and the color and malt character seem decent. (Rest of the grain bill was 76% Pale + 5% White Wheat.) I could see going for 20% Munich 20L.

It says aromatic munich 20L. I want to make a clone of Deschutes inversion IPA which says it uses 30% munich, but that sounds like a lot. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190701_211103~3.jpeg
    20190701_211103~3.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 62
I mean given how malty some of their IPAs can be it doesn't surprise me. I mean as long as it'll convert you could use 100% if you wanted. I just prefer my IPAs on the lighter side

I just read brulosophy's munich vs Vienna, and he used 100% and liked it. I am brewing right now and went with 26%.

I just read brulosophy's munich vs Vienna, and he used 100% and liked it. I am brewing right now and went with 26%.

It should be fine and I am curious how it turns out. I have been tweaking my IPA and Pale Ale recipes lately to see how well Munich swaps in for Crystal. My Pale Ale with 19% 15L Munich Malt might be too light for my preference and I would likely try 20L next time or increase the % of the 15L Munich.

I would point out that the Brulosophy experiment used Weyermann German Munich Malt I, which is in the 6L range.

I mean you can use 100% Vienna as a base for an IPA, that's one of my goto bases as it's simple and gives a nice blank slate that isn't as boring as standard 2 row.

Back