IPA Brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EonBlue66

Reaction score
Type: All Grain
Date: 4/4/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Eon
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.66 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (90 min) Hops 28.2 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [7.80 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80 %] (20 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80 %] (5 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.073 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.33 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 78.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 14.50 lb
Sparge Water: 2.97 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 134.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 21.75 qt of water at 158.3 F 149.0 F

I am really excited about this beer I have been waiting quite a while to brew a IPA, the 1st one i made was a extract Hopnog which was quite good.

I made my 1st starter for this beer.

nx3pua.jpg

The mash was where I had the most trouble. This is my 4th AG brew & I have always had around 70% effeciency.

The trouble for me was getting all of the sugar from the mash.

rsuc5t.jpg

I mashed with 5.5 gallons of water @ 149

I then added 4 gallons of 180 degree water, the SG from the final runnings was 1.020. I have a 7 gallon pot and ended up with 7.5 gallons of wort. It was at this point i realized I need to do a 90 minute boil.I added 6.5 gallons to the pot this left me with about an inch of space. I used a fan at its highest speed pointed directly at the pot I only had a boil over once when I stood in front of the fan :( it worked really well. The fan also increased the evaporation rate which enabled me to add the remaining gallon of wort after about 30 minutes.

Is there a way to get the remaining sugars out?

It was 80 degrees here today so I figured I would try out my new harbor freight pump hooked up to my IC. It worked well but between adding ice too soon & my digital thermo freaking out it was more involved than I had hoped.

2eanp5t.jpg

I used a paint strainer wrapped around my IC to siphon the wort, I got all but about a gallon. I removed the paint strainer and dumped the the final bit of wort in it and let it drain.

Anyways it was still relaxing and I had a great time making what I hope will be a great beer.

Final Gravity was 1.064

Man, that seems like a lot of water you are using. Why so much on the mash? With that grain bill you should only be using about 4.5 gallons on your mash, so that is the first thing that I would correct. Also, I would think about bringing the mash temp up to around 155, and if you feel you are not converting enough sugar, go for a longer mash at 90 min. Your sparge amount seems fine, but since you put in so much liquid in your mash, that is why you drew off so much liquid with the sparge.

That should help with the starch conversion.

Also, seems like you have a pretty small amount of liquid in that starter flask. When I make mine, I use 1000mL of water, with a bit of Fermax and a little packet of DME, and boil that down to about 750mL. Cool it, and then pitch the yeast in. I also use a foam stopper instead of an airlock or tinfoil. Get some more air on the starter to help your little yeasties breed! After a day or two, you will have a nice amount of yeast to pitch.

149 might be a little low on the mash - but you'll still get some good body out of the specialty malts u used I would imagine. I bet it finishes really dry. It sounds like it will be a good IPA- but personally I would not dryhop entirely with cascades. I bet that IPA would be awesome with a 50/50 split of cascade and amarillo in the dry hop.

I set beersmith for 1.5 for the mash and thats the amount it came too, I will most definetly use less water next batch.

I used 2 cups water to 1/2 cup DME per DeathBrewers post, but it did seem a little small. The stopper that came with the flask didn't want to fit so I wrapped that tinfoil on there.

I have a little more than 1/2 a pound of cascade & I am all out of Amarillo. I have some left over mt. hood and centennial I could throw those in.

Your starter size should not be set in stone. Use the yeast pitching calculator from mrmalty.com. It allows you to put in the age of your yeast, how your pitching it, etc. A 750ml starter with 4 month old yeast will not produce the same beer as a 750ml starter with 2 day old yeast. I know I'm real new too and all but I had to chime in there.

I set beersmith for 1.5 for the mash and thats the amount it came too, I will most definetly use less water next batch.

I used 2 cups water to 1/2 cup DME per DeathBrewers post, but it did seem a little small. The stopper that came with the flask didn't want to fit so I wrapped that tinfoil on there.

Set Beersmith to 1.25 qts to lbs of grain, that will give you a better water ratio.

I'm doing 1.3 and am getting 74% pretty consistently. I'd like to keep it there cause I know what to expect from the brewing process now. I don't know what I'd do with increased efficiency. :)

Every other AG I have done I used a 1.25 Ratio, I thought I would get a better eff. with a thinner mash...oh well live and learn.

It is fermenting like a beast right now!

Back