Ipa Bjcp style question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corbs64269

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently working on my first beer for a competition. I'm a bit confused about the Bjcp style guidelines. I'll be brewing sort of a hybrid ipa, using a combination of mostly American hops, but dry hopping with English hops. The beer will also feature a few types of flowers used in the brewing process. My question is what style would a beer like this fall into? One of the ipa styles, or one of the specialty styles because of the non traditional flower additions?

Thank you!

I would go Specialty Beer. The non traditional flowers probably won't get you the best score for a "standard" IPA.

Whatever the finished beer tastes like should dictate what category you enter it as. If you can really taste the flowers, maybe 21A. If the American hops dominate and you can't tell it has additional flavorings, perhaps 14B.

Whatever the finished beer tastes like should dictate what category you enter it as. If you can really taste the flowers, maybe 21A. If the American hops dominate and you can't tell it has additional flavorings, perhaps 14B.

Yep. The ingredients don't matter unless you can taste them. Taste the beer first and then decide what category it belongs in.

Back