Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
Well I was planning my second batch for tonight and was sanitizing my primary and my kettle along with everything else in it with water and some of the Iodophor sanitizer well long story short I had it in there and something came with my daughter and had to go pick her up and was gone for about 2 hours and just came home and went to the brew equipment and there is a stain in my primary up to the water level and my airlock and measuring cup are stained also what i want to know is it ruined and/or is there a way to get the stains out or is it ok and will the stains go away anyways any and all help will work for me. :mad:

Iodine based sanitizers will stain all plastic equipment. Its not ruined. As long as it stay wet, its still sanitized.

If you are adamant about getting it out after you brew, isopropyl alcohol will get it out. Iodine isn't soluble in water.

Wow, that's really odd. Iodophor is by far my favorite and I have a lot of plastic equipment, including my primaries.

A little goes a long way. I've seen people make an iodophor solution so dark it's dark orange, red or even almost brown. THAT will stain your stuff. I never measure; just put a bit in at a time and judge by color

alright so it wont add any off flavors or anything like that, I didnt measure either but used almost a capful didnt think it was too much but I guess live and learn huh

now while we're on the iodophor topic.. I have a question that some of you may know the answer to...

My mom is iodine intolerant and goes in to anaphylactic shock whenever she gets too much of it... now she hates beer in general but I'm still gonna make her my test pilot for my recipes.. (if she likes it then I know it must be good!)

The question is, how much iodine do y'all suppose is left over on the surfaces. how much do you suppose will end up actually being in the final product. So far I've been sanitizing with bleach (which works well when all is properly rinsed) but it's kind of a pain in the butt to do. I'm a lazy lazy man and would prefer the simplicity of a no rinse solution but am not gonna kill my Mom to do it!

Don't take the risk. There isn't really a threshold level for people who are that sensitive to iodine.

now while we're on the iodophor topic.. I have a question that some of you may know the answer to...

My mom is iodine intolerant and goes in to anaphylactic shock whenever she gets too much of it... now she hates beer in general but I'm still gonna make her my test pilot for my recipes.. (if she likes it then I know it must be good!)

The question is, how much iodine do y'all suppose is left over on the surfaces. how much do you suppose will end up actually being in the final product. So far I've been sanitizing with bleach (which works well when all is properly rinsed) but it's kind of a pain in the butt to do. I'm a lazy lazy man and would prefer the simplicity of a no rinse solution but am not gonna kill my Mom to do it!

I'm not sure of the actual amount that ends up in the beer. I think its something like a tablespoon of diluted water if you don't drain the carboy fully. Get some starsan before you bottle and I think you will be fine.

Ha ha ha, too funny -- give 'em hell, cd38! :) But seriously, I started with Iodophor and then tried Starsan . . . I'll never go back. They're both good, but Starsan doesn't have the color thing.

Back