Iodophor vs Star San ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBX

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a purchase and I want to either get Iodophor or Star San and I would like to know the choice of those out there who know more than me. I understand Iodophor is iodine and it stains, but what other pros and cons are there and is there a clear advantage of one over the other?

When I first bought my equipment it came with a sanitizer which I assume was Star San (it was a white granular powder). When that ran out I went to get more and based on the price, I went right to Iodophor. Much easier on the wallet and last a Long Time. This price compare at least from my homebrewer.

Sanitized is sanitized...I'd go with whatever is cheapest.

Dilute iodine solutions (read - correct strength iodine solutions) really don't stain even plastic, and it certainly doesn't stain glass. I find Iodophor to be a cost effective solution, but either will work. Sanitized is sanitized.

EZ Clean comes with most equipment kits, and is a great sanitizer. No rinse, and is very easy to use.

I've been using Iodophor. If your worried about the stains... it DOES stain BUT you have to leave the solution there for a good while before it does. If I get it on my countertops, I can wipe them down within 15 mins or so and not worry a bit. I learned this the hard way from the first time I used it. Got some on the countertop and it was there a couple hours. It did come up however when I later cleaned the countertops with powdered bleach. Janx is correct about not staining glass though, it won't do this. I have a plastic pail that I soak equipment in for sanitizing. This bucket has a light stain to it from the Iodophor. Never stained my skin or clothing.

Tony said:
EZ Clean comes with most equipment kits, and is a great sanitizer. No rinse, and is very easy to use.

Yes, I tried EZ Clean with my first kit. It leaves a white powdery looking film on the outside of the bottles when it dries and I must assume on the inside. The store said it is harmless - isn't that what they said about the first atomic tests (showing my age) and X-rays? :eek:

Kidding aside, I would rather not deal with the residue. BTW, I bought the Star San.

I personally like Iodophor for sanitizing. There are pros and cons for both it and Star San.

Iodophor

Pros: Low foaming, very effective, visual indication of concentration, no rinse.

Cons: Solution will lose it's sanitizing power within a day or so if left exposed to air. It will stain anything that can absorb liquid. This includes plastic, clothing and skin. It won't really stain your skin in solution, but the concentrated stuff will for sure.

Star San

Pros: No rinse, solution will last over a week and still retain it's sanitizing power, very effective.

Cons: FOAMS LIKE CRAZY! Although the foam does actually sanitize, getting the foam out of the carboy or bucket is a real pain. This is my biggest gripe with this stuff and why I don't use it.

OBX said:
Yes, I tried EZ Clean with my first kit. It leaves a white powdery looking film on the outside of the bottles when it dries and I must assume on the inside...

I havent had a problem with any residue from it.

OBX said:
Yes, I tried EZ Clean with my first kit. It leaves a white powdery looking film on the outside of the bottles when it dries and I must assume on the inside. The store said it is harmless - isn't that what they said about the first atomic tests (showing my age) and X-rays? :eek:

Kidding aside, I would rather not deal with the residue. BTW, I bought the Star San.

When I used oxyclean, or some nockoff of it, to remove the labels from a batch of bottles, I noticed a similar residue. I was a bit paranoid, so I took the time to rinse and scrub out the bottles before I put beer in them. I was thinking that perhaps the residue was the adhesive from the labels, that had been disolved and then dried on the bottles, definitely something I wouldn't want in my beer. I found that if you rinse them with water before they dry with the oxyclean solution on them, there is much less residue.

I remember some discussion of the possible flavor impacts that Iodophor can have if not properly rinsed. Anyone have input on that? I use star san, as it seems to be a truly no-rinse sanitizer.

Back