Iodine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
I've always used the iodine test for starch but I'm not sure you can buy regular tincture of iodine. The stuff they have at the local pharmacy is some iodine solution (it's clear and smells like alcohol).

Can you still get iodine anywhere? The pharmacist where I work told me that it's heavily regulated any more. If it's hard to get, what other method works well?

I bought some Iodophor for sanitizing, but I rarely use it. I find that it does work well for checking for conversion, though!

A farm supply would also sell iodine, I'm sure.

Sweetchuck said:
I've always used the iodine test for starch but I'm not sure you can buy regular tincture of iodine. The stuff they have at the local pharmacy is some iodine solution (it's clear and smells like alcohol).

Can you still get iodine anywhere? The pharmacist where I work told me that it's heavily regulated any more. If it's hard to get, what other method works well?

All commercially available iodine will be in solution... that's fine.

I use iodophor for checking conversion as well though, because I've found it to be cheaper than the stuff at the pharmacy.

Latest posts

Back