Iodine testing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndave

Reaction score
I went to wal-mart today to get some iodine to test conversion with and they didn't have any. The pharmacist told me they didn't sell it any more because of meth dummies or some such crap. So I got something that is basically a generic betadine solution. When I tested I didn't see purple...I didn't really expect to though because I mashed for abt 75 mins instead of 45-60 because...well, just because.

So will betadine work as a test agent?

BTW...the brew day turned out great...

I'm not talking abt sanitizing...I use Star San for that. I'm talking about testing to see if you have reached full conversion.

Boil some flour to gelatenize it. Test this with you solution. If it turns black purple you are fine.

Kai

Schlenkerla is talking about Iodophor because it has iodine in it. If you can't find iodine, you can find Iodophor.

Ok, sorry my bad.

I did the test with flour and it worked. So the sample that I took from my MLT yesterday was fully converted. Beersmith said I should have gotten 1.035 OG and I got 1.034 and this was my second ever all grain so I am pleased. That was even after having to add a half gallon of water to the finished wort because I had forgotten about the 90 min boil instead of 60 like I'm use to. It was a five gallon version of BM's Sterling Gold.

Wal-Mart has it:
Walmart.com: Equate: Povidone-Iodine Solution, 10% Topical Microbicide Antiseptic, 8 fl oz: Medicine Cabinet
0068113173197_500X500.jpg

That is exactly what I bought, basically a generic betadine. $6 and some change. I just didn't know if it would work until I did the test that Kaiser suggested. It does work, drops in the flour solution immediately turns dark purple/black. I went in looking for the little bottle of iodine that mommy put on my knee when I wrecked my little red wagon in the early 1960's. They evidentially don't sell it because some idiots are out there making meth or some such…out of it. But again that solution will work for the testing, used it again today on an Irish Stout…

Latest posts

Back