Iodine Test and Glycerin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laouboy

Reaction score
Hello HBT,

I just got back from cvs and purchased 1 ounce of Iodine tincture usp, I was told this was the only form of Iodine that they sold, I want to use this for my mash testing. So the question is, is this the right stuff ? Also can anyone give me some good advice as to where to purchase glycerin for yeast freezing? Its hard to find at the grocery stores around here and cvs had facial glycerin which doesnt sound to good for the yeasties, how about a health food store or something? Any advice?

Yes, the tincture is fine. I still have the 1 Oz bottle I bought 20 years ago. Be sure to read up on the proper way to do an iodine test (let a drop of liquid from the mash contact at the edge a drop of the iodine - don't read mash particles).

As for glycerine: you can make it by dosing a fermenting beer with sodium or potassium metabisulfite. I'm not really serious in suggesting that you actually do it but Germany turned its brewing industry into a supporter for its munitions industry during WW I by doing exactly that.

Back