Iodaphor and hard water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbugawkagawk

Reaction score
i just moved into a house that uses well water. I will be buying my water for the strike and sparge water but i was wondering since this water is hard, can i use it to clean and sanitize with? It does not smell much but has a iron taste to it. Suggestions?

IIRC iodaphor is what 5 star chem. recommends instead of star-san for people with hard water. So you should be fine.

Have you had the water tested? Is it permanent, or temporary hardness? You can reduce temporary hardness by boiling or slaked lime additions, if you don't want to buy your brewing water.

the ph is 8.1. i have a ph tester. the water is permanently hard from what i can tell. I use the water from work to brew with. About 20 gallons. I want to be able to use the well water with the sanitizer because it is 4 extra buckets that i do not have to carry around with me. Should i use more of the iodaphor because the ph is out of the optimal range for it to work properly? Also i do have a softer will the excess amount of sodium change the effectiveness of the sanitizer?

I listened to a podcast with the dude from star san. I listened to it a while ago, but I'm pretty sure this a link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/charlie-talley-five-star-chemicals-notes-brewcasts-58928/

Interestingly, he describes sanitizers as cheap insurance, and that with good cleaning practices sanitizer is not really necessary. He talks about all the sanitizer options, so it's worth a listen.

Here's another option too: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/blogs/...-bleach-water-vinegar-no-rinse-sanitizer.html

It's another interview with Charlie Talley where he talks about his products, iodaphor, and making your own sanitizer.

Latest posts

Back