Investing in a glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
Looking at switch over to kegging for my pales and ipa's this year.

I don't have room for another fridge/freezer but i do have space in a larder to stand a few kegs and some CO2.

So i was thinking of going down the glycol chiller route. For less than £300 i can get a chiller that can chiller 6 or so 40L barrels or a single small commercial conical.

This would be an investment for the future if i went the conical route or if i decide to build a home bar after moving house.

My larder stays somewhere between 5-20°C all year. It has electricity and a vent to outside.

My plan would be to install a recirculating loop to the chiller from which a leg to a copper coil can be taken to chill each keg. I would then rap the keg in insulation and build a foam box around the kegs and the CO2. I would then place the chiller extract venting to the air vent.

Has anyone else had similar experience or could offer advice?

Thanks

I agreed a small fridge can hold two 5 gallon kegs and has to occupy less volume than 2 kegs plus insulation plus a glycol cooler and venting

Sorry about my dismissive reply I was on my way back from the pub and replying via my phone

I envisioned the box to be a tight fit around the kegs, I will work out some measurements and get back. The gycol chiller won't count toward the space because it will fit under a shelf area.

Back