Introduction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome back!
A few things brewing have been polished up over the past few years.
One of the main things: Keep air (oxygen) out of your fermenters once fermentation starts, and also out of your packaging, kegs mostly.

Whatcha gonna brew?

Welcome back!
A few things brewing have been polished up over the past few years.
One of the main things: Keep air (oxygen) out of your fermenters once fermentation starts, and also out of your packaging, kegs mostly.

Whatcha gonna brew?
I’ve always been pretty careful about oxidation, but I think I’m going to do an extract Irish red. I almost ordered an ingredient kit last night, but morebeer (used to be my go to supplier) was going to charge me $60 for usps shipping on a $40 dollar kit. Have to find a different place to shop.
I do have a 2 keg setup, but I’ll probably need a new regulator, corny keg rebuild kits, and hoses. I’ll probably just bottle this first run. I still have plenty of bomber bottles.

I’ve always been pretty careful about oxidation, but I think I’m going to do an extract Irish red. I almost ordered an ingredient kit last night, but morebeer (used to be my go to supplier) was going to charge me $60 for usps shipping on a $40 dollar kit. Have to find a different place to shop.
I do have a 2 keg setup, but I’ll probably need a new regulator, corny keg rebuild kits, and hoses. I’ll probably just bottle this first run. I still have plenty of bomber bottles.
You need to rack up your order to get past the free shipping level. Otherwise, it's a big rip-off.

Sign up for their alerts, they have special sales, often on recipe kits. They sometimes have 2-fer and 3-fer kit specials. Again, you need to order enough to get the free shipping, you're paying for it anyway, it's already included in the price (don't fool yourself, nothing is truly "free").

Got an LHBS?

If possible I'd stay away from using LME, it gets stale quickly. I'd use DME only, unless I know for certain the LME is fresh (date on the drum, and date of opening).
For the $3-6 extra per batch, I'd use DME. Even after 8 years stored at room temps, a still sealed, but hardened 3# bag of DME tasted as if it were fresh from the store.

Unfortunately the closest lhbs is a couple hours away, and in a direction I really don’t like to drive.
From a search here, I found their kits on Amazon, I might try that route, but getting yeast is a little more clunky. I kind of need to wait until next week to order anyways because if I order now, the delivery date will be when I am out camping.

I found their kits on Amazon
LME just doesn't store well. I wouldn't expect Amazon's stock to be any fresher than MoreBeer's, and to have any quality control in that regard, whatsoever.

Got a brewery nearby? Score a sack of malt, get some hops, yeast, and brew away.

There is a brewery nearby. About a 2 minute walk from the office.
Their kits on Amazon are shipped from their brick and mortar location. Not sitting on a shelf in an Amazon warehouse. I’ve always had great luck with them, but I’ll also admit I’ve never used DME and you are getting me to look into that as well.

Latest posts

Back