Introduction and obligatory newbee question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantastic01SS

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm new to brewing in that I've only bottled (and drank) 2 5 gal batches from extract kits from the local homebrew store and am absolutely hooked. I'm impressed with the amount of knowledge on this site and salute y'all in contributing to my new hobby. :mug:

Sooo I stumbled on Edworts Apfelwien recipe and made a batch which seems to be in the latter stages of fermentation and looking pretty good. Then I made a batch of something. I'm not really sure how it'll turn out. It's a mix of 3 gallons of apple juice, 5 lbs of honey, and accitently used some cider yeast from Whitelabs. It's been in the primary for 2 days and fermenting like crazy. What do you guys think this will make? I guess it'll be a cyser, any guesses on the effects of the cider yeast?

Again, thanks for the insight and I look forward to asking more questions. :D

... here's another... why do y'all call your wives SWMBO?

... here's another... why do y'all call your wives SWMBO?
DUDE! Don't Ask! Google is your friend.

Welcome...and congratulations.
Your cyser will be great. Did you take a gravity sample? I'm guessing you've got a gravity in the 1.100 range...which is just about where I really like to be. The cider yeast will have a potential to poop out early, so I'd give it a shot of some yeast nutrient tomorrow if you can. You may need to re-pitch with some wine yeast if it gets stuck with tooooooo much residual sweetness, and it's going to take a few months to be ready...but it's going to be very good.

DUDE! Don't Ask! Google is your friend.

Ahh, never heard it before so I figured it was an inside joke.

Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't take a gravity reading because I was about through with a 12 pack of Erdinger when I made it.. hence my using cider yeast instead of the champagne yeast I bought for the cyser. I suppose it happens.

On a side note.. I just read the "brewing for soldiers" thing you guys do from the link in your sig. That's awesome! I've been over twice and hope to get a chance to go back. :rockin:

Back