Introducing lactobacillus to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InquisitiveMind

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has tried adding goodbelly probiotic juice to a brew while fermenting. It has lactobacillus in it and I was thinking by adding a bit to a brew while it is fermenting might introduce the bacteria to the scoby so in future batches it will produce it much like doing a brew with cabbage. Has anyone tried anything like this and if so how did it go?

Hey guys,
I am planning my first sour beer and want to use Lactobacillus and I am wondering if I need to dedicate my plastic brewing equipment like ferm. bucket, siphon hoses etc. to this process? Is there a best practice to cleaning and sanitizing when it comes to Lacto? I am a big fan of StarSan but not sure that will take care of the Lacto.

Hey guys,
I am planning my first sour beer and want to use Lactobacillus and I am wondering if I need to dedicate my plastic brewing equipment like ferm. bucket, siphon hoses etc. to this process? Is there a best practice to cleaning and sanitizing when it comes to Lacto? I am a big fan of StarSan but not sure that will take care of the Lacto.

Many people use separate brewing equipment for sour beers, especially if plastic. Some don't. Star San does kill lactobacillus. But personally, I don't let lactobacillus (or brett for that matter) touch any of my main cold side equipment.

Hey guys,
Check out the article I linked above. There is no need for extra precautions if you use ''L. plantarum''; it's extremely hop sensitive.

Check out the article I linked above. There is no need for extra precautions if you use ''L. plantarum''; it's extremely hop sensitive.
Indeed most lacto are very hop sensitive! Learned that the hard way- a Berliner with just a couple ibus wouldn’t sour at all regardless of what lacto I threw at it. This is why people kettle sour with zero ibus then boil with hops later.

Indeed most lacto are very hop sensitive! Learned that the hard way- a Berliner with just a couple ibus wouldn’t sour at all regardless of what lacto I threw at it. This is why people kettle sour with zero ibus then boil with hops later.
There's no need to kettle sour when using a modern bacteria culture.

There's no need to kettle sour when using a modern bacteria culture.
Why do you say that? If you’re suggesting using a lacto that isn’t hop sensitive, NO WAY! I wouldn’t want any such thing anywhere near my brew space, ever.

Why do you say that? If you’re suggesting using a lacto that isn’t hop sensitive, NO WAY! I wouldn’t want any such thing anywhere near my brew space, ever.
I hate to break it to you, but Lacto is already all over your brewing gear. Microbes are everywhere, floating around in the air, etc. That's why we use sanitizer.

Check out the article I linked above for modern souring methods. Hops are added after souring, if desired.

Back