Intertap return springs on standard shanks???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Off Balance Brewing

Reaction score
I would like to add return springs to my kegerator for some extra kid insurance. I see intertap sells a spring and I have those taps but I have standard shanks. The description says works with intertap shanks only. Has any one had good luck with intertap return springs on a standard shank?

I have springs on all four of my stainless Intertap faucets with BevRite stainless shanks and they work great. I did cut about 3/4" off each spring but that was personal preference to lessen the amount of resistance. The springs worked fine at full length as well.

These are my shanks: BevRite shank

I also use the springs in all 4 of my taps; 2 perlicks and 2 intertaps, all four are on krome brand stainless shanks, no modifications to spring length. IMHO they are essential.

Yeah I have krome shanks with the intertaps so sounds like I'm set

I'm going to consider it luck I haven't had an issue yet with 2 toddlers in the house.

Here are my return springs on corny keg mounted Perlick and Intertap flow control taps. The return springs are 1*6*50 stainless. The rear spring mount is re-formed Grolsh swing top wire. Works great!
6AC96EF4-DFFE-4D4D-A101-55B105F0059C.jpeg

Here are my return springs on corny keg mounted Perlick and Intertap flow control taps. The return springs are 1*6*50 stainless. The rear spring mount is re-formed Grolsh swing top wire. Works great!

Ha! That's pretty, crafty.. I like! I use the springs on my three taps as well (with Intertap shanks). I did compare shanks and they all seemed to be about the same besides branding honestly. I got them because Intertap labeled them as only working with their own parts.. didn't know any better. Oh well, it's all good stuff and haven't had any issues. My one tiny gripe is if you plan on using that snazzy TapCooler bottle filler that plugs into the faucet, the spring is kind of a pain since you have to hold the tap handle down while holding a bottle on the filler.

Ha! That's pretty, crafty.. I like! I use the springs on my three taps as well (with Intertap shanks). I did compare shanks and they all seemed to be about the same besides branding honestly. I got them because Intertap labeled them as only working with their own parts.. didn't know any better. Oh well, it's all good stuff and haven't had any issues. My one tiny gripe is if you plan on using that snazzy TapCooler bottle filler that plugs into the faucet, the spring is kind of a pain since you have to hold the tap handle down while holding a bottle on the filler.

I considered that, but I bottle very rarely, and when I do it's from a picnic tap in the keezer. To me the springs are worth it so that my curious cats (or my inebriated self) doesn't bump a tap handle open and have disastrous results.

I may add another faucet to my keezer collar in the basement (bar & taps are upstairs now) and I may still add a spring to that one as well just so I don't bump it while lifting things in and out of the keezer.

Back