Internet Purchased Hops Plants Planted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought my Hop plants from High Hops not knowing what to expect as I havent had the best luck buying healthy rhyzomes. I received them quickly and in good shape. I was happyto see that the leaves werent even wilted and still very green even after 2-3 days in shipping which can be pretty hard on plants. I have a Sterling, Cascade & Chinook, planted and adjusting nicely.

for first year growth I can only expect about 5" of growth, right?

https://plus.google.com/photos/1034...s/5750584894033859121?authkey=CKyry5TJkoLygQE

:mug:

I doubt it. Who knows. I'd keep them from drying out and don't prune them. They're young and weak going into summer and need support. I'd grow bushes this year to be safe.

I just got 5 from there, all 2-3 inches high vines. A few leaves were a little wilted and it was highs about 80 degrees while in shipping, but they look like they will perk up fine.

I guess a rhizome planted in march might be 3+ feet high now, but these give a little more growth than a rhizome.

I do plan to leave them grow as naturally as I can to get them to be strong enough to handle being transplanted next spring. I am working on a redesign for the garden. Any transplanting tips? these seem to be extremely hardy plants.

On another note, you can find wild hops growing out in the country around Milwaukee in hedge rows. There used to be massive hops farms out here for Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, Blatz, Hamms, you name it... It would be kindof cool to be able to grab a descendent of one of those legendary beers hop strains. Any clue what type they used back in the day?

Hi

The stuff I planted from scratch two months ago is up around ten feet right now. It shows no signs of slowing down at all.

Bob

Back