Interesting difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbalbritton

Reaction score
I'm still fairly new at this. Only been brewing for about 1.5-2 years. Have about 30 batches under my belt (or over my belt, however you want to look it).

Anyway, recently set myself up with a larger boil kettle so I can do 10 gallon batches. My latest was a Highlands Gaelic ale clone. I had 2 ferment buckets. One I fermented for 2 weeks and cold crashed for 2 days. The other I fermented for 3 weeks and cold crashed for about 5 days after my first keg ran dry.

The taste difference was amazing to me. I expected some difference, but not that much. The 2 week ferment was sweeter than I expected and was kinda disappointing. But the 3 week ferment was MUCH BETTER! Far closer to HGA than the 2 week.

Just excited, and thought I'd share.

I have read recently from an experienced forum member that many folks believed in the 3 weeks on the primary yeast cake. So this fit with what you experienced.

Did you use the same yeast with both?

I have read recently from an experienced forum member that many folks believed in the 3 weeks on the primary yeast cake. So this fit with what you experienced.

Did you use the same yeast with both?

Yep, everything was the same except the ferment time.

Back