Interesting Day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borovy3488

Reaction score
I went to fill up my co2 tank for the first time at the place I bought it. The guy who was filling it up said that he had never done it before, but that it shouldn't be too hard. He filled it up, I paid and left. About 10 minutes away from home, BOOOM!! All the co2 came pouring into the car. It was filled with white smoke, and I couldn't see anything. I pulled to the side of the road safely (thank god) as I was rolling down the windows.

After gaining composure and catching my breath, I called the fire extinguisher place that filled my tank. They said that the guy had over-filled it, and for me to bring it back and they would replace the entire tank with a new full one. I went back and they did exactly that. Don't know if I'll be going back to that place!

I got the tank home and hooked it up to my system. Now, I thought that the tank had emptied pretty quick. When I hooked this one up, my regulator starting "clicking." I thought it must be the source of a leak in my system. I sprayed all of the gas connections with soapy water to test for leaks, but couldn't find anything. Now the regulator is still clicking, and I have no idea what it could be. Any ideas on this one? I have tightened all connections, but it's still doing it.

Sorry for the long post, just had to vent and ask for some help. :D

Not sure what the clicking is but a while back I had get a valve stem reseated on a tank (I think due to improper filling); after getting it filled, on the way home it started hissing really loud and didn’t stop for 45 min. The reseat was only $3 and they refilled the tank for free.

"the dangers of brewing 101" haha
mine clicks for a few moments when filling up a keg for the first time, just the PSI gauge moving around a bit while it stablizes, nothing more then like 30-60 seconds though.

Wow! Glad you're okay! :tank:

I would personally take the regulator and the tank back and show them what it's doing. Maybe they'd know and fix it for you for free, especially since they've opened themselves up to a lot of liability after that last time.

Yeah, I really couldn't believe it happened. The place was VERY apologetic (as they should be). I've never had the feeling of not being able to breathe before, besides underwater. It was one of the scariest moments of my life so far. Either way, the tank is full, the clicking is gone, and I have my first apfelwein on tap!!

Back