Interest Piqued

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saboral

Reaction score
I just found out that my wife is pregnant with my first.

This brought about a riveting discussion about what to say and not to say on mommy message boards. For reference I learned that you shouldn't talk about:

Vaccines
Car Seats
Breast Feeding

Unless you're looking for a fight, judgement, and self-righteousness.

Then we got into a discussion about how best to utilize the placenta......

(You probably can deduce by now where this is going.)

Has anyone ever home brewed with placenta? I hear it can be turned into a dry powder, but I don't know how it would act in a brew. I assume it wouldn't be a fermentable. Does placenta have IBUs? Should it go in at the boil or in the mash?

All I know is that it supposedly helps with depression, but beer kind of already does that, at least temporarily.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

tumblr_lw5t9nPXGT1qf3zmio7_250.gif

lol, my first, we don't know yet, kind of resembles a peanut with nubs right now.

Congratulations! Babies are a lot of work, but so rewarding. Amazing creatures, truly, even though they all eventually become teenagers. Cheers!

...and also, WTF? Placenta beer?! No. No, no, no. That is a human organ. Don't eat (or, in this case, brew with) anything that falls into the human organ category. Yuck.

Let me congratulate you one the new 1st addition, and also a unique thread. Seems almost everything has been covered here at HBT, but every now and then something unique pops up.

Placenta beer? Of course! Stem Cell Saison!

Don't let Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head) hear about this. He'll be on it like a wet towel.

Congratulations! Babies are a lot of work, but so rewarding. Amazing creatures, truly, even though they all eventually become teenagers. Cheers!

...and also, WTF? Placenta beer?! No. No, no, no. That is a human organ. Don't eat (or, in this case, brew with) anything that falls into the human organ category. Yuck.

Not even if paired with a nice Chianti and some Fava Beans?

Her sister told me that some moms have it made into a beverage to fight postpartum depression. Personally I find the thought of a smoothie much more stomach curdling a sour brew.

I can't believe this is a real thing. I mean, I know it is, I see on the Google-powered intertubes that people have it dried and encapsulated. I just don't understand it. Is there any solid science behind the postpartum depression thing, or is it more of a pseudoscience/quackery kind of thing? I can't find any reference to any medical study backing it up - in fact, what I do see looking briefly is a lot of mention of skepticism from the medical community - but then again, I haven't heard of this before today so it's not unlikely that I am missing something...

I'm not saying its insane per sei, I'm just having a really hard time figuring out a base style and the correct hops additions to balance it because I have no frame of reference.

Many cultures consume placenta. Perhaps more so those with myths, traditions and values around fertility. Throw it on the Barbi and drink a keg of good homebrew with it :)

Don't worry about what to brew when the baby comes. You won't have any time for that.

i find myself spending more time in the automation forums nowadays. Anyways my wife encouraged me to leave my ultra stressful engineering job in favor of a state engineering job that is 8-4:30. She is extremely supportive of and even pushing me to take the next step to a nanobrewery. I mentioned the upcoming bundle of joy and she reminded me that it will always always be something and I might else well commit to it now.

My wife mentioned having it made into the little capsules. Please for the love of beer dont do it. Go get yours some flowers and chocolates, tell her how pretty she is, then tell her to forget about ingesting part of her body lol.

Don't worry about what to brew when the baby comes. You won't have any time for that.

This. Brew as much as you can before hand!

I just had my first almost 12 weeks ago. We moved at the same time too. I haven't brewed in almost 3 months. However, I think, dare I say, I might get to brew this weekend. :ban:

Congrats on your new addition man!

Since you are on this site, it is probably to late. But my son, first child, "bought" me a homebrew kit for my birthday just before his first birthday. Been brewing ever since, 30 yrs.....

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'll be making a brew to celebrate (placenta free) and I'll figure out a way to get you all a bottle.

For the love of God, nobody explain meconium to him (I'm naming a stout that, by the way).

EDIT: that should be your celebratory beer. A thick, imperial stout called Meconium.

For the love of God, nobody explain meconium to him (I'm naming a stout that, by the way).

EDIT: that should be your celebratory beer. A thick, imperial stout called Meconium.

Well if its a sour Meconium contains high concentrations of Lactobacillus.

Back