Inter season Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telp

Reaction score
I brewed some pumpkin beers that will be perfectly ready for thanksgiving. Due to finals being right after thanksgiving though, and my lack of foresight, I will not have any brews ready for Christmas this year. What a shame.

That being said, what are some of your favorite brews to cook up for those months after Christmas but before the weather starts to get warm again?

Since I haven't built a fermentation chamber (yet) I'm planning to take advantage of low temperatures to do a brew or two that benefit from cold conditioning. The inside corner of my garage ought to be about right for something like a faux pils (fermented with clean ale yeast...probably US-05), which I have been meaning to try.

That's the time for barleywine, quads, scotch ales, and doppelbock. It's late to do any for this year, but you can brew the big ones for next christmas!

if you're bottling you could still turn around a 1.050-1.060 brew. i'd consider a saison that's well spiced. maybe some fruit in secondary. cherries or citrus. this OG puts you in the ballpark for browns, pale ales, small IPA's or ambers.

if you can keg/force carb then you could still stretch to 1.070-1.080 depending on the style. bigger brews on this scale would almost have to be hoppy styles.

i think it would be a fun challenge.

That's the time for barleywine, quads, scotch ales, and doppelbock. It's late to do any for this year, but you can brew the big ones for next christmas!

if you're bottling you could still turn around a 1.050-1.060 brew. i'd consider a saison that's well spiced. maybe some fruit in secondary. cherries or citrus. this OG puts you in the ballpark for browns, pale ales, small IPA's or ambers.

if you can keg/force carb then you could still stretch to 1.070-1.080 depending on the style. bigger brews on this scale would almost have to be hoppy styles.

i think it would be a fun challenge.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Those styles are exactly what I was wondering. And you think? I do like challenges...

I'd go lower gravity-mid gravity (1060 and under) with malty styles like amber, brown, etc. Just mash high and use low attenuating yeast like S04 to keep up the mouth-feel and sweetness. I have a dark mild at 2.6% that tastes like a 5% beer cause it's packed with caramel and mashed at 160 and fermented with S04. Do that same sort of thing with a 5% beer and it may seem more like the 8% malt-bombs I crave this time of year.

if you're bottling just stick with lower gravities and tell people it's "unfiltered". :mug:

It even sounds sophisticated ! Cheers :mug:

I'd go lower gravity-mid gravity (1060 and under) with malty styles like amber, brown, etc. Just mash high and use low attenuating yeast like S04 to keep up the mouth-feel and sweetness. I have a dark mild at 2.6% that tastes like a 5% beer cause it's packed with caramel and mashed at 160 and fermented with S04. Do that same sort of thing with a 5% beer and it may seem more like the 8% malt-bombs I crave this time of year.

That's a great suggestion ! I will look into doing this.

Back