Integrated CFC chiller and waste water cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
So I built a CFC and really liked the results. I needed it to take up less space and really wanted to get rid of the fountain pump and extra bucket I was using. Maintaining an efficient use of space was also important.

So I wrapped the CFC around the MLT and plumbed the cooling jacket into the MLT's plumbing and will use the MLT as a the cold water storage. This succeeded in deleting the bucket and pump.

The waste water was going into the MLT so to keep from adding another bucket I would have to recycle the waste water some how. When I had a sparge ring I was very surprised at the amount of heat loss to the atmosphere as the mash recirculated. With some garden sprayers I found the other week I designed a misting contraption on the return side of the waste water. I am hoping a fair amount of heat will be lost before it returns to the ice bath in the HLT.

I am a little worried about the restriction caused by the little sprinkler heads slowing down the cooling flow too much. In an hour or so I will have some test results on the systems performance. So I've got my fingers crossed.

Also, I've mentioned using silicone tubing to splice to pieces of 1/2" pipe together. I've attached a photo of one I am using in action as a temporary union.

S5034227.jpg

S5034228.jpg

S5034232.jpg

S5034235.jpg

S5034236.jpg

All about the diy tonight! thats cool. let us know how it works. I still cant get over that manifold its impressive to say the least.

All about the diy tonight! thats cool. let us know how it works. I still cant get over that manifold its impressive to say the least.

Yeah, well this is what I had been working on for the past week, just happened to see the element tonight when I went to pick up the last bits I needed.

It worked so-so... I managed to waste about half of my 10lb bag of ice. I will give it a go again tomorrow, there is one of those automated ice machines around the corner that has 20lb bags cheap. If I can't do it with one of those then it may not be worth the effort.
So with the little ice I did use, I started out with 45 deg cooling water. After the first 3 gallons it had reach 70 deg. The last 2 gallons raised the cooling water to 120. So I am kind of iffy about the whole thing right now. The sprayers did drop the waste temp quite a bit. It was scalding hot right at the nozzles and at the back of the HLT it was fairly warm.

Thanks about the manifold, I think it turned out well too. It took a lot of time, blood, sweat, and burnt fingertips. Now I've got to clean up and polish the piping for the CFC. Debating if it is worth the effort :eek:

Thanks about the manifold, I think it turned out well too. It took a lot of time, blood, sweat, and burnt fingertips. Now I've got to clean up and polish the piping for the CFC. Debating if it is worth the effort :eek:

I think it will be worth it. I really like the look of the polished copper. I think it looks classy but then again I am not the one who will have to keep it polished.;):D

two words. Clear Coat :D

I had a feeling. It sure does look purdy. I actually know someone who brews here on Long Island who is a roofer and wrapped his keggles in copper roofing material. It looks real purdy too. Shiny copper makes the brewery look real old school and professional. Funny coming from someone who is replumbing their brewery in stainless.

I had a feeling. It sure does look purdy. I actually know someone who brews here on Long Island who is a roofer and wrapped his keggles in copper roofing material. It looks real purdy too. Shiny copper makes the brewery look real old school and professional. Funny coming from someone who is replumbing their brewery in stainless.

Think I will be heading that direction eventually too. Though I am glad I started with copper. Materials were inexpensive enough to the point I didn't mind tweaking with it till I got it where I wanted everything. That process with stainless would have broke me.

So the plumbing may be going up for sale in the distant future.

Well boys and girls.... It works. I had 5 gallons in a fermenter at pitching temps in 4 min 30 seconds. I have found a super cheap place to get ice and I got 40 lbs. More than enough to cool 5 gallons. I may try 20 next time.

I learned something else today too. If you try to heat very cold water with a RIMS it can kill your element... I have got voltage but current and measure 4 M Ohms across the terminals. Bummer.

man it must suck to live where the tap water isn't cold enought o cool your wort down quickly. i took 5g from boiling to 62 tonite in maybe 6min using my cfc and tap water. summer that might take me 10min

man it must suck to live where the tap water isn't cold enought o cool your wort down quickly. i took 5g from boiling to 62 tonite in maybe 6min using my cfc and tap water. summer that might take me 10min

Our tap water in FL is useless for cooling without ice. At least in the summer. In the winter I can use the water from the pool, which is cold now.

Are you in Battle Creek. How cold is your tap water right now?

Back