Insulating a keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Few insulation questions...

What is a good insulation to use on the inside of my keezer to keep the cold air from escaping around my wood collar? That pink board insulation?

I need to drill a hole for my air line and a hole for my temp probe. My air line is 7/16" outer diameter so I will drill a 3/8" hole so that will be a nice tight fit. The temp probe hole will need to be a little bigger than the probe for it to fit. How do I insulate that hole?

I would use the "foam board" type of insulation and use an adhesive to hold it in place around the collar.

I used foam insulation that comes as a roll with adhesive where you peel off backing from a home improvement store to seal betwen the wood and top of the freezer. To seal the corners of the wood I used silicone caulk. The top of the collar is sealed by the original gasket (make sure its making a good seal - top of collar must be pretty flat). It works fine and was very quick to do.

+1 on a lot of ideas already posted

Seal the joints with silicone first, to keep air from entering

Use foam board to minimize heat conduction through the collar

Drill smallest holes possible for pass-through hoses and cables ... for example, if your probe has flying leads on the other end, feed it through from the inside and then connect it to the controller ... you can seal those holes with silicone or expandable foam once you're sure you have everything the way you want it

Make sure there are no leaks between your gasket and the mating surface ... use a piece of paper as a test shim and make sure you can't slide it under anywhere

Good luck!

Back