Installing pressure reliefs in keg lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tekkie

Reaction score
So i purchased 4 pin lock kegs and they dont have pressure reliefs which annoys me so i am thinking of installing some, i know that i can just use something on the input which i do today but its just inconvenient.

So i am contemplating installing these. They are 1/4 NPT so i would just have to drill a hole, tap it, put some teflon tape on the valve and install it. Very basic.

Now the question comes is there a problem with using brass? Or should i get chrome plated ones? The beer wont be touching it so i cant think of any problems with using either. The chrome ones are 8 bucks where i can get 5 brass ones for far less.

Anyone do this? I searched but found nothing.

$_57.JPG

Good idea but why don't you just buy some ball lock lids. Less work.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Because i have 7 kegs, keezer setup with 4 taps etc,and everything setup for pin lock.

Doing this will take maybe 5 minutes per lid, it will be faster than changing everything to ball lock and definitely far far cheaper

Thats a very good point, i didnt think about that. I will have to look more closely before i try this.

The lids are a bit on the thin side for tapping a large kinda coarse looking thread. Let us know how that works out...

Cheers!

Yeah, I'd be very careful just drilling and tapping the lid. Not a lot of surface area for those threads to grab on to. I'd hate to see the aftermath of one of those shooting off the lid when you happened to have your head over top of it.

Maybe you could try a couple of stainless nuts on each side of the lid for that to screw onto. And maybe an O-ring for the seal?

Because i have 7 kegs, keezer setup with 4 taps etc,and everything setup for pin lock.

Doing this will take maybe 5 minutes per lid, it will be faster than changing everything to ball lock and definitely far far cheaper

I didn't say convert them to ball locks. All you have to do is replace the lid with a ball lock lid.

Phillips screwdriver works like a charm and doesn't inconvenience me at all...

This is prob the reason why pinnys are so cheap. Love Em.

Yeah I don't see why tapping is necessary. Just a nut on the back? I'd personally use the chrome, since it'll be in some funny conditions.

Latest posts

Back