Installing a Weldless Temp Well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry_gopher

Reaction score
I’m in the process of building a 15 gallon fermentation vessel using a plastic closed head barrel.

I want to add a bottom valve bulkhead, which is easy enough. It’s the temp well that’s proving to be difficult to plan out since there isn’t a through hole.

Edit to clarify. The themowell lacks a hole through it to use the string method used in the video I posted.

Anyone ever do this?

Last edited:
I guess I should have been more succinct, I already have a thermo-well that I no longer need and I want to use it for my closed head fermenter build instead.

I guess I should have been more succinct, I already have a thermo-well that I no longer need and I want to use it for my closed head fermenter build instead.

Nothing in that link that'll work?

Those bulkheads will work with plastic too--I think the maximum thickness is something like 1/4 inch.

What's the thermowell like? A pic might help here, including a closeup of the connection side.

Those bulkheads will work with plastic too--I think the maximum thickness is something like 1/4 inch.

What's the thermowell like? A pic might help here, including a closeup of the connection side.

Sorry, but I asked how to install, not what.

I’m in the process of building a 15 gallon fermentation vessel using a plastic closed head barrel.

I want to add a bottom valve bulkhead, which is easy enough. It’s the temp well that’s proving to be difficult to plan out since there isn’t a through hole.

Anyone ever do this?

Sorry, but I asked how to install, not what.

No, you didn't, as evidenced in your quote above. Further, you don't provide enough information for a good answer. I probed to try to get more info, and now this.

I'm sorry I wasted your time trying to help. And mine.

Just to be clear, no. They all have the same problem. The bulkhead for the valve OTOH is pretty straight forward. I suppose I could use a bulkhead fitting for the well too, but I’m pretty averse to adding extra leak points if I can avoid it.

Last edited:
No, you didn't, as evidenced in your quote above. Further, you don't provide enough information for a good answer. I probed to try to get more info, and now this.

I'm sorry I wasted your time trying to help. And mine.

I must apologize, I left out some key information.

Back