Insane amount of whole hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulation

Reaction score
So last night I brewed jzs evil twin. 10 gallons with 12 oz of late addition hops.... Resulted in a very clogged ball valve.... Had to get out a nylon bag and a funnel and pour the last 5 gallons out and strain with the bag over the funnel.

My only question is.. Was it a bad choice to squeeze the leaf hops to get the wort out of them.. I would guess the hops had absorbed well over a gallon of wort.

Next time I think I'll use pellets...

Squeezing the soaked whole hops will probably result in some tannins or astringency. (I can't remember without my books here right now.)

Personally, I use pellets in a huge hop bag. Works AMAZING. I probably get about an extra 1/2 gallon of wort in my fermenter now that I use this method.

To add some detail I didn't wring then out them out like you would a towel mostly just a gentle squeeze (which resulted in ALOT of work)

I've made this beer before and it was fantastic... I'm not too worried the malt bill will hide any slight imperfections

I wouldn't worry about it too much. :mug:

It took me a while to get my all grain system just right. For a while there, I couldn't stop buying little gadgets to upgrade little things! Makes it harder to dial in if you're always changing things...

I used 26oz in a 5gal batch. 6 for bittering (pellets), 10 for late hop (leaf), and 10 for dry hop (leaf). I don't normally squeeze the bag, but I did for this one. Lots of green wort came out. No tannins or astringency. Tastes amazing. Also, with the 10oz of dry hops, I squeezed the bag (I squeezed them both pretty good), and then I added it to a Pale Ale as late hops. Smells awesome in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back