input on the fate of my single stage Ranco controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normonster

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have two Ranco single stage controllers.

Currently I use one controller to maintain fermentation temps on my brew-fridge (the other sits idle). This is going to change soon though as I intend to fit my SS Conicals with heating and cooling capabilities and just use the fridge for cold conditioning and storage without a controller.

The fridge is going to run wide open with a glycol reservoir in the freezer section (feeding brass cooling coils) and the fridge section will hold finished beer & carbonating kegs. After some research I realized that I actually need heating capability as well as cooling, which means I'm going to need dual stage controllers. This is a bummer as I already own the singles (and apparently they cannot be upgraded to dual stage).

Can anyone think of any reason I should hold onto the single stage controllers (knowing that my wort-making situation is under control already) or should I just get what I can for them and buy two dual stage controller? One of the singles is still brand new in the package so it's tough to take a loss on that, and the other one is barely used at all.

Cheers.

Back