Input needed for water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
For some reason the site won't allow me to post a new topic to the brew science board so.......?
I e-mailed my water company and asked for a water analysis for home brewing purposes and this is what I got. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430750269.300144.jpg
The basic report puts the ph @ 9.4. Not sure if that is needed.
I'm interested in any insight as to what additions will be needed to brew American style IPA's and APA's. So far I've only brewed dark beers with the only water addition being campden tablets and the beer is great. Just wondering if I need to add anything for a light colored beer before I jump in?

That report is generally sufficient. However I note that the quality variability is somewhat high. The existing alkalinity should be suited for darker beers, so your results are not surprising. You would find disappointment in paler beers made with that water.

I can see that they are fudging on the bicarb and carbonate numbers and they are completely wrong. For brewing use, it appears that the total alkalinity is roughly equivalent to about 80 ppm bicarbonate. With those average values, the water report balances modestly and should be usable. But that doesn't solve the variability they report for the max/min values. I'd ask what is driving the max and min conditions and if they routinely see that much variation.

If it helps its St.Louis water. From what I read not much is done with our water other than adding some calcium.
Using Brewers friend it recommends adding 4g gypsum and 4g calcium chloride along with .38ml 75% phosphoric acid. I get the acid from work for free so that's why it's so high %. Those additions gives me blue stars across the board and a balanced profile for light and hoppy beers.
Does that look about right? This is using 5 gal of water for the base of treatment

Latest posts

Back