Inkbird

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbama

Reaction score
So, I was informed I am in the minority concerning Inkbird products but nevertheless my experience is that this company does not back their products if not purchased directly from them. I will eliminate emotion and simply state the facts as best I can.

1 May 18 I ordered IPB-16 PID controller from a popular online homebrew supplier.

5 Nov 18 I sent this note to mfr: I have the IPB-16 PID controller and am getting a probe error code orAL. I see that K, S, Wre, T, E, J, B, N, Cu50, and Pt100 probes can be used. I have a thermowell with a 6mm I.D. Do you have a recommendation for a replacement probe that will easily fit into my thermowell?

6 Nov I received this reply: Thanks for contacting us.
This may be because the probe didn't connect well or the the probe option is changed.
Please make sure connect the probe well and which model of the probe you use?

7 Nov I replied: I am using the sensor that came with the unit. I get orAL 1202 fail code.
It is plugged in tight. Does the fail code occur when it is unplugged?
Setting of Sn = pt

8 Nov they sent this note: Please put it in the ice water, don't let it touch the bottom of the pot, retest it and then tell me the data result.
And please give us your order ID.

If the problem still remains unresolved, could you please send me a video?
We will give you a solution.

9 Nov I sent this note: I ensured the probe was plugged in well. I placed it in ice water. It did not touch the bottom. I heard a ‘click’ from within the box and received error code orAL 1202 on the display. What does error code orAL 1202 mean?

9 Nov they sent this note: I'm sorry to hear that.
Through your description we judge that the product is broken.
Could you please tell me your order ID and address?
We will resend a new one to you if the product still under the warranty.
Waiting for your reply.

10 Nov I sent this note: I ordered thru (name withheld to protect the innocent). My address is below. My order ### was on 1 May 2018. I attached a screenshot of my order history. My address is below.

11 Nov I received this note: Sorry, our company is not responsible for the products sold on this website.
Please contact the seller, maybe he will give you better help.

5 Nov I sent this note to the retailer: I have an error on my Inkbird IPB 16 controller. I use the stock pt100 probe and am thinking about replacing it but I am not convinced it’s the probe. I get the same error even when I unplug the probe. It could be the controller itself. Do you happen to have information on how to troubleshoot this device?

I have yet to receive a reply.

I guess the warning to others is buy direct from Inkbird and you should be good. I ended up replacing the sensor on my own dime with this one: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com...p-tri-clamp-1-5-flange-1-38-35mm-probe-length. The controller otherwise performs as advertised. Evidently, the weak link with this controller is the temp sensor.

Last edited:
Inkbird has a specific authorized resellers, and if it isn't on their list then they can deny warranty coverage. Inkbird is certainly not alone in this. Makes buying stuff for my work hard because you are stuck with a small list of vendors, some of which really suck at communication (I'm looking at you, Mitel). Have you explained the situation to the vendor?

The cut and paste note I sent the retailer is posted above. I am happy with my current configuration. I just put that out there for others to be aware.

Back