[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect your issue is this:

You can't select a keg if its status is SERVING or NEEDS CLEANING or one of the broken ones.

That is correct. I changed one of the statuses to Primary and I was able to select that keg. Am I not understanding something? If I put my keg in "Serving" status, why can't I select it on the taps page?

Because "SERVING" means it's already serving.

I.e., already attached to another tap.

You'll notice when you tap that keg, it switches to SERVING automatically.

I see that. I had selected Primary, and it switched it to Serving.
It seems like there should be a different option for ReadyToTap or something.
None of the other statuses describe that state. imo.

but, now that I see how it works, i can manage.

Thanks again!

Heads-up: Dell Outlet is having a refurbed monitor sale again. Use the coupon code in this thread to take 30% off the prices shown:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6730422-30-off-dell-refurbished-montiors?p=66234692#post66234692

Of all the ones on sale, I like the P2214H, P2314H and P2414H models the best. Each has an IPS panel, VESA mounts and a USB hub built in.

I have three P2414H's, and they're rock solid as a kiosk monitor. Also have six U2412M refurbs and three U3014 refurbs, so you could definitely say I trust their refurb process...

Awesome I got the P2414H for $125 w/ free shipping. The full parts build list was an additional $99 w/ free shipping. 24" HD Digital Tap list for $225? Freakin' awesome!!! Will add volume via flow meters when v2 comes out!!!

I see that. I had selected Primary, and it switched it to Serving.
It seems like there should be a different option for ReadyToTap or something.
None of the other statuses describe that state. imo.

but, now that I see how it works, i can manage.

Thanks again!

Most of us discussed using the "Clean" status as the standby for what you're referring as "ReadyToTap". If you store your kegs clean, you can just have them listed as that and once you tap them, they automatically change to serving and drop off the list of available kegs.

Gotcha. In my situation, I have 3 kegs, but only 2 taps. So, one of the kegs might be holding beer and be carbonating, but not actually on the tap. Hence my confusion.

Just jumped on before I went to bed, and wanted to say awesome to those who got it setup. please feel free to post on facebook page or here if you have any questions. I will check form in the morning to see if there is any issues you all posted. so far so good YAYYY

Gotcha. In my situation, I have 3 kegs, but only 2 taps. So, one of the kegs might be holding beer and be carbonating, but not actually on the tap. Hence my confusion.

Interesting. I guess you could use 'conditioning' depending on how you interpret that status. Or just drop a request via the admin panel and the guys can add in another keg status. I'm sure you're not the only one who would use it.

This looks pretty cool, guys.

I'm interested in installing Raspberry Pints on my hosting service (I use Siteground).

Uploading the files is easy but, I don't know how to get this package to talk to the mySQL server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's some more information on my setup.

I'd like to install Raspberry Pints on my shared hosting plan on Siteground (a popular web hosting service).

Because it's a shared server, I didn't install mySQL and I don't have access to the root mySQL server. Is there any way I can host Raspberry pints there? I can manually create mySQL databases as needed.

I bottle my beer, and plan to use a tablet as my beer menu (or simply provide the url if visitors want to use their phones).

It's having a problem during step 5 saying it can't find the downloaded zip file under /home/pi. Please help

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I had the same problem. One solution was to remember that it's case sensitive. It can't find raspberrypints-1.0.0.369.zip but it will find RaspberryPints.....

There was another part where the instructions said:

RaspberryPints-1.0.0.369/*

And I had to remove the "/*" for it to work.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just wanted to say nice job to those that got this up an running. I ordered my parts today, and they will be here on Tuesday. I've already done the downloads and am looking forward to getting this up and running. I look forward to seeing where this goes from here (flow meters, etc). I have a degree in computer science (programming), so I know how much work goes in to a project like this. You guys deserve a big kudos from all home brewers for making us look cool to all of our friends! Well done!

LOL, maybe a little of both... been a Linux sysadmin for nearly a decade

For anyone else looking for a way to remotely refresh the page after you make an update:

SSH (using a tool like PuTTY) to your pi and type
Code:
sudo apt-get install xdotool

cd /home/pi
mkdir scripts
cd scripts
nano refresh.sh

Now in nano type
Code:
export DISPLAY=":0"
xdotool key ctrl+F5
Now CTRL+O and CTRL+X to save and exit nano

Now lets make that script executable by
Code:
chmod 755 refresh.sh

To test type
Code:
./refresh.sh
and a few seconds later your remote screen will refresh.

Now you can SSH into your pi and can execute by using the command
Code:
./scripts/refresh.sh

Perhaps a script like this could be added as a function to the admin panel for easier access??

That's assuming you understand how to use nano... or vi or vim or... :) Might I suggest the "how-to" here be updated to a more "generic" instructions? :) I don't use nano myself... I prefer joe. :)

I had the same problem. One solution was to remember that it's case sensitive. It can't find raspberrypints-1.0.0.369.zip but it will find RaspberryPints.....

There was another part where the instructions said:

RaspberryPints-1.0.0.369/*

And I had to remove the "/*" for it to work.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I tried this both ways. I even did a fresh download and ensured it was there and it gave me and error message about the file being in multiple parts. Can I unzip the file on Windows the put it the pi to eliminate that step?

Another option to automatically refresh the main tap list is to add a meta refresh tag to the main index.php page.

For those that are willing to edit the file, just add the following line to the <head> section. The file is located in /var/www/index.php

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600">

Add the above line just below the current line "<meta http-equiv="Content-Type".........

This will refresh the page every 10 min. If you want more often just change the "600" to something less. It's in seconds.

You can edit the file a couple of different ways. If you're using the Pi directly, you can just "sudo nano /var/www/index.php" and edit the file directly.

Also, if you copied your files with WinSCP, you can navigate to the /var/www directory, right click the "index.php" file and "edit". I believe the default editor is Wordpad, or something similar. When you save the file (usually "Ctrl-S"), it will automatically save it back to your Pi.

We've discussed a few ways in V2 to refresh the page since it will definitely be needed for the flow meters. It will be in V2 almost certainly.

Hope that helps a little.

I tried this both ways. I even did a fresh download and ensured it was there and it gave me and error message about the file being in multiple parts. Can I unzip the file on Windows the put it the pi to eliminate that step?

Yes, step 6 in the instructions, a little further down the page, it discusses Method 2 about using WinSCP for Windows, or Method 3 using a Mac. That might work better for you.

Please forgive my ignorance here but I recently purchased a BeagleBone Black to play with/learn about. Is it possible to use a BBB instead of a RPi for this set-up? Both are Linux based, correct? Any limitations with the BBB?

Please forgive my ignorance here but I recently purchased a BeagleBone Black to play with/learn about. Is it possible to use a BBB instead of a RPi for this set-up? Both are Linux based, correct? Any limitations with the BBB?

It should work the same, as long as you have the pieces you need.
A web server (apache), php for apache, and a mysql db.

Mine is running on my droplet. Not yet figured out how i'm going to display it at the keg. Maybe a cheap tablet or something?

Using winscp is the password needed the one setup during mysql?

No, you will use the password you use to login to the Pi. the default username is "pi", and the default password for that user is 'raspberry' if you have not changed it.

No, you will use the password you use to login to the Pi. the default username is "pi", and the default password for that user is 'raspberry' if you have not changed it.

That would explain a lot haha. Ill try that later. Hopefully that works and I can get up and moving. Thanks

It's having a problem during step 5 saying it can't find the downloaded zip file under /home/pi. Please help

I found the download under /home/pi/downloads. I just used the file manager to unzip it and move it to the root of pi and then continue on with the move and chmod.

Edit: Poo tongue? WTF phone?

I found the download under /home/pi/downloads. I just used the file manager to unzip it and move it to the root of pi and then continue on with the move and chmod.

Edit: Poo tongue? WTF phone?

I used file manager to move it to the /home/pi/ directory and it was still giving me the error. I will give it another shot this afternoon and if i get the error again ill take a pic and post it. I think i should be able to get it work using WinSCP.

Outstanding work guys! Got mine up and running. Now I just need to finish my keezer, and my brewery, brew some beer, keg it and get it on tap!

I am stuck at Step 7. When I enter the IP of the raspberrypi it comes up with a page that show what is below.

It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

In the /var/www folder on your pi. If you have a index.html delete it and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Okay maybe I screwed up somewhere. I completed step 6 and when I entered the ip address of my rpi in a browser all I get is the generic

"It works!
This is the default web page for this server.
The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."

page. Am I missing some step?

I got this same error after step 6. Using the previous suggestion, I deleted the index.html file, cleared the cache, rebooted, and now I get the

Index of /

screen with the directory of files. What did I do wrong?

Thanks jkurl, that did it. Everything is up and running now. All in all, it was about 2.5 hrs to get this setup even with a redo or two. Very nice job guys, this is impressive.

I got this same error after step 6. Using the previous suggestion, I deleted the index.html file, cleared the cache, rebooted, and now I get the

Index of /

screen with the directory of files. What did I do wrong?

If you used winscp push the files again. Make sure you do the chmod and then try the IP address again. You might have deleted something else by accident.

If you used winscp push the files again. Make sure you do the chmod and then try the IP address again. You might have deleted something else by accident.

That's it. Somehow I deleted the other files, too. Redid step 6 and all seems well.

You guys rock.

Nice work everyone I am really proud to see a lot of you getting it setup!!!

Should we be using heatsinks? Mine got warm but maybe that's fine?

If you are over clocking the pi I would. Even with over clocking mine never got above 56C.

If you are over clocking the pi I would. Even with over clocking mine never got above 56C.

I am but I might change that back (can't remember how off the top of my head but I'll find it). No need to overclock with rPints probably.

I feel silly even asking this question because you guy put so much work into it and I'm grateful for how awesome it came out. Got my 3 taps set up and it works just as advertised. The only thing I haven't been able to do is change the logo. I tried uploading images from my laptop. When I go to the PI admin panel and navigate to the image directory in /var/www, the logo.png file previews as the one I uploaded, but the image on taplist, even after reboot, is still Your Logo Here. Any ideas?

Thanks again for everyone's hard work. I can't imagine how cool this will be with the flow meters I've got.

I feel silly even asking this question because you guy put so much work into it and I'm grateful for how awesome it came out. Got my 3 taps set up and it works just as advertised. The only thing I haven't been able to do is change the logo. I tried uploading images from my laptop. When I go to the PI admin panel and navigate to the image directory in /var/www, the logo.png file previews as the one I uploaded, but the image on taplist, even after reboot, is still Your Logo Here. Any ideas?

Thanks again for everyone's hard work. I can't imagine how cool this will be with the flow meters I've got.

Here is what worked. Get back into winscp. Select the www folder and change permission to 0755. That will give you full access and will update your logo.

Sorry, nevermind. A refresh and reboot seemed to fix the issue. Thanks!

Back