[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fyi, I've updated the PIR sensor install kit archive on Google Drive to include my xscreensaver configuration file. If you place .xscreensaver in the /home/pi folder you can save a bunch of fiddling with the gui to clean up the initial configuration...

Cheers!

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread; 81 pages is a lot to go through.
Has anyone had any success getting this to run on a Jailbroken AppleTV?

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread; 81 pages is a lot to go through.
Has anyone had any success getting this to run on a Jailbroken AppleTV?

It runs on a pretty standard LAMP stack. While it's not been covered, as long as the AppleTV supports LAMP, it should theoretically work.

Sorry for any inconvenience the outage caused anyone. http://raspberrypints.com/ is now live and back to normal. To stay in line with our transparency that we like to keep, The servers mysqld service stopped so I had to get to a computer to restart it. Sorry again for any issues it caused.

When it comes to wiring the PIR, does length of wire matter? I want it mounted about 12 feet (linear, wire length) from the pi itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A good question. I started off with a 2' long cable, then for grins jumpered in another 2' cable and haven't noticed any changes in behavior. The PIR sensor is remarkably stable and very good at what it does.

Judging by the rating of its 3.3V regulator, the current drawn by the PIR is very small - likely in the 10-20mA range if that. So you're not going to see much of a drop for quite a bit of wire. And we're only looking for an edge in an extremely low frequency, and distortion isn't particularly important - all we want to do is catch the attention of the RPi.

If I get a chance I'll see if I have a chunk of tri-lead cable I can jumper in and see if I can get to 12 feet or more without a problem...

Cheers!

fwiw, I was going to add a Raspberry Pints shortcut icon to the html header for the main page, but discovered the code for that was already in place. However, the code is pointing to the /var/www/img folder for the pint.ico file, while the distribution puts that file in the /var/www folder.

So you can either move/copy the pint.ico file from the /var/www folder down to the /img folder below, or you can edit the index.php header tag to fix the reference.

As well, the admin.php and index.php files in the /admin folder can be edited to add a <link rel="shortcut icon" href="pint.ico"> tag inside the header description, then copy the same pint.ico file from the /var/www folder down into the /admin folder (or make the reference point up to the /var/www folder - either way works).

So my two shortcuts to the taplist and the admin page now sport a cute li'l red Pint icon...

Cheers!

fwiw, I put the PIR sensor at the end of 15 feet of cat5e patch cable (so, 24 gauge stranded wire) using one trace per connection and it seems completely unaffected...

Cheers!

My RPi sitting in a mass of power, video and sensor tentacles (the coil is the 15' cat5e run to the PIR). I built a cardboard box for the PIR sensor for god only knows what reason ;) and have it perched on the chromecast box so the screensaver will kick in while I'm working with my office chair in its usual location ("under the cone of detection"). I can wake the 'Pi by just leaning towards it by about a foot and it "sees" me when I enter my office from either the hall or the door out to the deck.

This will work almost perfectly for what I wanted - the only thing missing is a true low power standby state for the monitor. The code I found on Git-Hub doesn't work as advertised, but I'm hoping correspondence with the author may reveal an undisclosed dependency, or perhaps a transcription error when he loaded his archive, or Idiot Operator error, or something. I could live without it, but standby consumes only 1 watt, while a back-lit black screen is closer to 100 watts, so there is some motivation to "go green" here if possible.

Ordered another pair of temperature sensors and intend to expand my temperature logger to four channels, so I can monitor the beer and air temperature inside my keezer, plus the beer temperatures in my ferm fridge and carbonation/cold conditioning fridge. The cost of the sensors is so cheap, and it's so easy to expand the database and supporting code it'd be criminal not to add them ;)

fwiw, I haven't found any obvious hardware or software conflicts between what I've been playing with and where RPints is apparently heading...

Cheers!

rpints_01_sm.jpg

@day_tripper

do you have the needed code for the temp sensor support? I am working with some temp sensors too and if you already have the code then why waste my time on re inventing the wheel. I am using the waterproof DS18B20 sensors

Just ordered all my parts. I'll be using a HP L2045W monitor - not the best per the suggested specs, but for the price of free, I can't argue. I have a buddy coming to help me do the install because despite my relative handiness with the physical side of life, coding and the likes has always been a major headache to me. I'm excited for V2 with the flow meter support! Thanks to the whole team for what you've been doing, and sorry for the eventual stupid questions I ask on how to get it all put together.
-Kevin

I got my parts in the mail today, hope to start working on the setup tonight. Thanks for the great info in the thread, I can't wait to how it looks. Cheers!

@day_tripper

do you have the needed code for the temp sensor support? I am working with some temp sensors too and if you already have the code then why waste my time on re inventing the wheel. I am using the waterproof DS18B20 sensors

Note that the "waterproof" part is only as certain as the integrity of the shrink wrap and whether there are any voids in the potting material (likely epoxy). I don't recommend immersion in any case.

I had intended to put together a kit for the web accessible temperature logger I've cobbled together (if you haven't seen what I'm running, go to my taplist and click on the thermometer icon top-right. Hammer away at it all you want - the full week plot cranks the longest and you can stress test my 'Pi for me ;) ). The code has been solid as stone for a good week. I was going to wait until I had verified a four probe configuration (once the additional pair of probes arrives) but I can always add that later.

I just need to go through my notes, pull all the "gold" version files together, make up a single probe variant, and write up the instructions. I'll be heading out of town for the weekend for a grandkids fix and not sure if I'll get it together beforehand, but for sure by early next week.

btw, I'm still running the 'Pi in my office, hence the warm temps being recorded (and the Channel 0 probe is resting on top of the 'Pi case). The whole low-power monitor state thing has proven to be quite vexing (I'd like to *****-slap whomever wrote the tvservice code at the heart of the problem that plagues all Raspberry Pi's) but I haven't given up...

Cheers!

I searched but could find any posts about it but does anyone else get an error when installing the LAMP Stack?

When I run: "sudo apt-get -y install apache2 php5 mysql-client mysql-server php5-mysql phpmyadmin"

I get: "E: Unable to locate package php5-mysql phpmyadmin"

And the install stops.

Is it possible that your Pi is not connected to the Internet properly?

I don't think so since the steps prior to update ran fine. Plus I have a browser open so I can copy and paste the commands rather than typing them and those pages load fine also.

I searched but could find any posts about it but does anyone else get an error when installing the LAMP Stack?

When I run: "sudo apt-get -y install apache2 php5 mysql-client mysql-server php5-mysql phpmyadmin"

And the install stops.

I had to install each one individual. That may work for you.

Ya. My sd card became corrupt for some reason requiring a rebuild and I had this issue before. Back then, if I took the steps individually, I was able to muddle through it. Just seems odd that the instructions for that one thing do not work for me.

[...]When I run: "sudo apt-get -y install apache2 php5 mysql-client mysql-server php5-mysql phpmyadmin"

And the install stops.

Is that implying that the package installer was able to find the other packages? What happens if you install just apache2?

btw, did you do...

sudo apt-get update

...before running the package installer?

Cheers!

Yes, I did

sudo apt-get update

And

sudo apt-get upgrade

Per the step by step.

And the install stops.

Had the same problem. Take the "-y" out it worked for me.

And we're up and running! Took a little while with the downloads off of a 3G dongle out in the middle of nowhere, Afghanistan. I can't wait to get home and continue bringing this cool project to fruition. At least it gives me plenty of time to learn the ins and outs of the programming language. My many thanks to all of you making this happen!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396681658.907974.jpg

And we're up and running! Took a little while with the downloads off of a 3G dongle out in the middle of nowhere, Afghanistan. I can't wait to get home and continue bringing this cool project to fruition. At least it gives me plenty of time to learn the ins and outs of the programming language. My many thanks to all of you making this happen!View attachment 191056

Grats!

Come home safe!

So the PIR came in the mail today. I got it all wired up and ran the test program. It seemed to work so I added the run program to autostart and I never got it to work correctly.

It may be that my soldering skills are horrible and/or the fact that I used 15 feet of 24 guage wire. I didn't mess with the sensitivity/range adjustments because I figure if it won't register my hand waving directly in front of it, then adjusting those settings probably won't help. I'll get it though...

As with so many others, I wanted to say thanks to you guys for such an awesome job. I ordered my parts a while ago, and got everything set up yesterday. Really looking forward to following along with new developments - just wish I had the soldering skills to implement the motion sensor functionality! :)

If/when we get to motion sensors officially, we'll aim for a solderless solution. No guarantees, but it would certainly help if you added it to our Request a Feature list on our website. :)

If/when we get to motion sensors officially, we'll aim for a solderless solution. No guarantees, but it would certainly help if you added it to our Request a Feature list on our website. :)

Oh, I have been out there already - even before I got my setup built. ;). I think it was already a suggestion, so I ticked it up one more.

That said, even if you guys were to do nothing else, this is still a great piece to share with all of us. Thanks again!

Back