Inherited a keg (1/2 bbl), what should I use it for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dash14251

Reaction score
i have not gotten into allgrain yet, but that is my ultimate plan once it get things set up.

I was thinking of using the keg for a fermenter after cutting the top and making a lid that will seal with airlock. if it is used as a fermenter, would i need another keg for secondary? i was thinking of just racking a 11-12 gallin batch into 2 buckets or carboys, but also dont like the idea of splitting up a batch even if it is for a few days.

i do like to cold crash before kegging/bottling just to attempt to clear the beer, not really cold crash the fermentation. the keg will fit into my fridge so that would not be a problem.

or was thinking of a kettle, but am thinking the bottom may be too thin for a good kettle. is that right?

i can get a hole cut that could fit a lid, airtight or not.

as for a mash tun, is a cooler a better choice? ive just read that it is good for this to be insulated to a point.

thanks guys!

I use a keg for a kettle. In terms of cost this is one of the cheapest kettles for 10 gallon or greater batches.

In terms of cost, you can find a used picnic cooler for nothing a goodwill, convert it to a mash tun by adding a nice valve.

For a fermenter, ask your grocery stores, homebrew shops, or restaurants if they have any large food grade plastic containers available. My homebrew shop sells the containers that they ship the liquid malt extract in...only $12 each and they can hold 12 gallons easily.

You could potentially go any way with it, but I think it has the most value as a kettle.

I agree. IMHO, your best bet is to go with a kettle. Once you go to AG brewing, you'll eventually want to build a RIMS system ( I think everyone does), and of you do the kettle now, you already have 1/3 of the kettles you need!
That and, not sure what size kettle you have now is, but if you want to do 10gal batches, this is the perfect size for that. It's easier to brew 1 batch and separate into 2 fermenters, than to brew 2 5gal batches and put into one 10g fermenter, if that makes any sense at all...

If you go with keggle, it'll rock.

If you go with Mash Tun, you can find several threads on that. Someone posted a thread on here of keeping the lid intact and using the pickup tube hole as the drain. turn it upside down, cut the bottom off(now the top). Clamp assembly on the Top (now the bottom), and BAM. Bottom draining Mash Tun Keg.

Back