Ingredients supplier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched and searched for a thread on this topic and have been unable to find anything on the best/favorite shops to get your lme/dme/grain bill/yeast/hops, etc. So I'm starting this thread as a kind of angies list for brewing if you will...

What is your favorite site or LHBS to order from and what experiences have you had? What is the best site you have ordered from (price, service, quality of product, promptness, etc.)?

I've ordered a lot from MoreBeer (https://www.morebeer.com/). I also use RiteBrew. RiteBrew (http://www.ritebrew.com/) is just about 3 hours up the road from me so if I place an order before 1pm I get it the next day.

Morebeer is a day or so later as they ship from Pennsylvania and California, and usually it comes out of Pennsylvania. They also have a "deal of the day" which, if you can find one you like, can be combined with an order of ingredients to get it under their one-price shipping. Morebeer's customer service has, with me, been excellent.

I'll be interested to see what others have found to be good.

EDITED TO ADD: I didn't include my LHBS because that is local and I presumed OP was looking for online sources. It's a good place to go for stuff I need, plus there's advice.

I get about 1/2 of my stuff from my LHBS and 1/2 from Northern Brewer.
My LHBS is Central Street Farmhouse in Bangor, Maine, so that's not going to help many on this forum(although they do take online orders and will ship).
NB has a better selection, but shipping to Maine takes forever. Central street's crush seems better (I get about 5% higher efficiency with them). They are also wicked nice and pretty knowledgeable.

I believe that the previous posts are correct-- if that is the word. I have ordered from Austin Home brew, No. Brewer, Alternative Beverage [my LHBS] MoreBeer, Mid West, and some others. I subscribe to all their notices and usually find good information about a variety of things. Sometimes it's a great close out price on a grain that wasn't moving well. Price issues, shipping issues will vary among them as will inventory; Sure, everyone has a brew kettle, but which one and at which price?

That being said, your local shop will always be the one that does, and has a bit extra somehow, and it's always nice to share what you have made and what others have produced. Wandering about there usually seems to be something on close- outs or on sale that is not on their website. For example, yeasts that are "outdated" by a week. And as it said in the sitcom "Cheers" it's nice to go where they know your name.

happy brewing

I try to give as much business as I can to my LHBS (http://www.txbrewing.com/). They sell grain down to the .1 pounds and have flat rate shipping for those who aren't lucky enough to be local (Dallas/Fort Worth). No affiliation BTW.

I do sometimes do business with Austin Brew Supply and Northern Brewer when there's something the LHBS doesn't carry. This usually happens when I'm in the market for something that is not 'common'.

I seem to be in the same boat as others, 50% at my LHBS and 50% online (normally Northern Brewer). Now I will have to say that Northern Brewer's customer service has been awesome! I had an issue that I contacted them about and they had some suggestions and asked for some additional information. Well life became crazy for a few months and I didn't get back to them until now. It was like no time had passed and they sent me some replacement/missing pieces right away! Customer service like this will continue to get my business!

I did sign up for other online brew shops (Austin's Home Brew, More Beer, etc...) so I can keep an eye on deals and what not. I have heard nothing but good things from many other well know online brew stores from fellow home brewers.

For grain I use Williams and MoreBeer. Hops I get mostly from Hopsdirect, Farmhouse, Yakima Valley Hops, and Ritebrew. For most other things including yeast it's my LHBS Sierra Moonshine.

There are a number of Homebrewtalk vendors, like HomeBrewSupply.com (currently hosting a give away!) that are certainly worthy of support.

I imagine everyone shops around based on their need or perceived price benefits. I personally tend to use Adventures in Homebrewing (http://www.homebrewing.org/) for my keg/grain needs because they they best fit my needs based on price (note they don't have a free shipping program except for select items like their Cereal Crusher grain mill) and product availability (not too many places carry stuff like Midnight wheat.) For example: the fact that they have things like a Ball Lock Keg Post Conversion Kit for $10 (compared to $25 at Midwest and Northern Brewer) puts them leagues ahead of those vendors. And they'll sell partial pounds of grains at the pound cost divided by 16oz, rather than marking it up. Good stuff.

Hops, I'll shop around for a best shipped price - usually Yakima Valley Hops.

Yeast I'll grab at LHBS as frequently as possible. My local place sells expired WLP vials for $1, so its worth trying to revive those.

Anyway, my $0.02.

I started ordering from northernbrewer.com but the most recent order was from morebeer.com. I'm in PA, so morebeer is here within a day or two. Nothing bad to say about northernbrewer either, just takes a little longer. Haven't found a local shop yet.

I get most of my ingredients from my LHBS (Great Fermentations), but I will bulk purchase some hops from Yakimavalleyhops.com or Farmhousebrewingsupply.com. As for hardware, Ive had great experiences from MoreBeer, AIH.com, NorCal Brewing, and of course, BrewHardware.

I get most of my stuff from Northern Brewer or one of my LHBS stores (Country Wines, which is related to South Hills Brewing Supply).

I have bought some stuff from the other two LHBS stores (3B's Tobacco and Porter House), but neither of them have a whole lot of anything on hand. I've also ordered from Midwest Supplies and Austin. Really kind of depends on what I need and how much. I'd rather place one order than three unless I can save a lot of money ordering from a bunch of places, and that's what it comes down to.

I mostly go to my LHBS when I can. I've done about 10 orders with Northern Brewer and had mixed results. 6-7 out of the 10 orders had problems. Missing item, damaged item, defective item, etc. Just dumb stuff and they always made it right by me. However I'm not sure I'd order again. I've had to postpone brew days because of them. I have ordered from Adventures in Homebrewing, & More Beer on a regular basis with no problems!

Always use www.ritebrew.com, Neil does a great job with getting the orders out. I always have my order ready for pickup the next day, no matter how late I put my order in. He is based out of Little Chute, WI. I live 20 miles away so, it is easier for me to pick up, than pay the relatively cheap shipping costs.

I have ordered a lot format NB, and while they have a good selection, have had problems with them. Really like homebrewsupply.com top notch people there. Go to my local guy when I can, but they are very limited.

LHBS base and specialty grains, yeast, misc odds and ends.
Ritebrew faucets and other kegging items
nikobrew bulk hops
beveragelements gas tanks
AIH has a rewards program and beats a lot of other guys prices but shipping is almost never free and it seems to take awhile.
and of course the occasional ebay or amazon purchase

Back