Ingredients maybe to use in my next honey ale batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJekyll-HomeBrew

Reaction score
well i made this honey ale recipe and i feel like it needs something else. I am maybe going to add some lactose and sweet orange peel next batch. Any ideas on just using lactose and/or orange peel? what about Juniper berrys and corisander seeds? i have never used any of those and dont know what characteristics they bring. advice? The batch i have has about 4 malts in it, then two pounds of honey. One pound is added in the fermenter and the other is added to the secondary.

I think the orange peel might be a nice addition. When I brew with honey I try to keep the other aromatics light and complementary, good corinader can add some citrus or fruity tones that might be nice, but I would skip the gin/pine flavor that juniper gives.

Lactose is a fine addition if you want more body sweetness, but assuming you are mashing the beer I would just raise the mash temp to make a less fermentable wort. You can just boil the lactose in some water and dose the beer after fermentation, that will give you better control over the sweetness.

Hope that helps some, good luck.

Back