Ingredient jazz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunsteve

Reaction score
About to do my second BIAB, took a look at a few ingredients I have and does anybody have a recommendation for grain weights to use for a 6 gallon batch (9G Turkey fryer) of something tasty:

~20lbs two row
2.2 lbs chocolate malt
4oz Munich malt
4oz Vienna malt
5oz dark crystal malt
1oz Willamette hops (1 year old ..)
1oz saaz hops (also 1 year...)

I'll need to go pick up some yeast and can maybe find fresh hops or done basic grains if you think I need them....

Thanks!

You're going to have a very full kettle. I mash with a 9 gallon turkey fryer as well. You're going to need at least 8 gallons of water to mash that much grain. There may not be enough space for all that grain plus water. The recipe as it is will have an OG around 1.100 and that is a huge beer. And your hops add up to 16 ibu. What style are you shooting for?

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Go down to the "Can I Mash It?" section.

At 1.25 qts/lb. of grain mash thickness, you can't do it in a 9 gallon pot. Even at 1 qt/lb. you will only have around 1 gallon of headspace left in your pot for stirring etc., and in that large of a pot usually one gallon of space is really not very much. Doable perhaps, but it will be tight!

Never did a full biab... Just small stovetop batches, but with an average eff I'd toss in all the dark crystal, Vienna, and Munich with 8 lb of 2 row. Use all the willamate as a bittering addition and ferment with English ale yeast. It'll Make for a nice bitter and using the hops at the beginning will be a good use for year old hops.

To the above posters I think the op is looking for recipe suggestions with what he's got on hand... Not necessarily trying to toss it all in one recipe

Thanks bams, exactly. I'm guessing it would be more around 9 lb of two row used... Just not sure how I can give our what type if beer these could make and the safest combination of them in a 6G BIAB... Which my pot will still be barely enough for and I may have to just add some heated water and sparge it through the bag above the pot

And appreciate the help everyone. Bams at what point is that too add the hops fur bittering? How many minutes into boil

You will want to add the hops at the beginning and boil for 60 minutes. If you're using beer smith, shoot for an ordinary bitter and that will guide you. You may need to play with the hops a bit to get to the right ibu. If the one ounce of willamate comes up short in ibus, use the ounce of Saaz for Bittering along with half of the willamate. Dump the other half of willamate in with 15 minutes left.

All good, so here is what I made:

I just brewed a variation of this batch, we'll see how she turns out in a few months - see attached.

8.5 gal Water for mash
1.5 gal Water at boil
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
1 lbs Victory Malt
4.0 oz Munich Malt
4.0 oz Vienna Malt
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast

BIAB 6G
mash at 151F for 65 minutes
mashout of 159F for 5 minutes
Og of 1.050 at 74F

It's been a week (temp range between 17C - 21C)and the gravity on this has stalled at 1.022, from an OG of 1.050. Little higher than I'd like before racking to secondary, but I'm not sure how much further it may drop after the transfer.

Is this in a good gravity range to rack? I can wait longer on the yeast cake if I should. And how much more can I expect it to drop in the secondary?

Is there any way I can increase the final ABV at this point in a way that would be complimentary to the beer flavour and characteristics?

Back