Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-randypan

Reaction score
Hey all, iv taken up home brewing again after a couple of years not doing it. Anyways i have made a lager with cherry and cinnoman (boiled up some twinings tea) and im brewing from a tin of extract i think its a coopers one. My beer has stopped fermenting and when i opened the barrell to take a look at the beer and take a hydrometer reading there was a big piece of green brownish sludge on top of my beer. I tasted the beer and it doesnt taste sour or vinegary. I took this blob out and in my hand it literally looks like excriment a big piece of sloppy poo!! Can someone please advise me on this..... AM I INFECTED?? I did drop a bung in at the beginning of the brew and had to fish it out with my hand/ arm!

Any help on this matter would be much appriciated!

Well, without photographic evidence, it's going to be difficult to evaluate. But, just going off your description, if I were to venture a guess, I'd say that was yeast and hops sludge.

How long has it been fermenting? From what I understand, it takes at least 3 weeks for signs of infection to present. If it has been less than that, I doubt what you have is an infection.

i started the beer 8 days ago.... i hope your right, i would put a picture up but i dont know how... ill try off my phone!

Here are the photos

image-3959725173.jpg

image-2863884859.jpg

Yes, they'll drop on their own in good time. Let it go a couple more weeks to give the yeasts time to finish their work.

Is that what dry hopping will like as well? The reason I ask is I have my first IPA in primary and don't want to be scared if I see that when I dry hop in secondary...

Is that what dry hopping will like as well? The reason I ask is I have my first IPA in primary and don't want to be scared if I see that when I dry hop in secondary...

Dry hopping typically I use whole leafs that retain the look of a hop cone, so no I wouldn't think it would anything like that, unless your dry hopping with pellets, in that case Quite possibly

Dry hopping typically I use whole leafs that retain the look of a hop cone, so no I wouldn't think it would anything like that, unless your dry hopping with pellets, in that case Quite possibly

Ok, thanks. I am using pellets, but at least I won't be scared to see some clumps floating at the start.

Latest posts

Back