Infection taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceIceTommay

Reaction score
This is my first post. Sorry if it's been covered before but the search results for infection is just quite too long. I had just finished my first batch. I taste it, and it tastes like a tangy apple taste almost like I'd get from cider but not as great. Is that what infection tastes like?

Sometimes infection. Sometimes just young beer. Give it two weeks. If its still as prevalent it could be infected. Any gushers? Any ring at the top o the bottle? Both signs of infection.

Apple/Cider flavors likely it is a defect of the brewing/yeast growth not sanitation.
1. if it is the aecitate (I think that is the compound group) it will not get better or worse with age.
2. if it is an infection it will get worse, and typically - but not always sour.

The way to avoid Apple and cider flavors are
1. Aerate well.
2. Pitch enough yeast.
3. Most people say don't use table sugar or older malt extract (particuarly LME).

in another thread someone posted this helpful link
http://www.kroc.org/Links/TroubleshootingGuide.htm

yours is the first (alphabetically) - Quote
ACETALDEHYDE

CHARACTERISTICS: Acetaldehyde is the flavor and aroma of green apples. It can also taste and smell acetic/cidery.

CHEMISTRY: Formed as a precursor to alcohol by the yeast, or as a product of the oxidation of alcohol to acetic acid.

CAUSES: Yeast metabolism (fresh-cut apples) uses acetaldehyde as a step in the production of alcohol from glucose. This is a fresh, fruity flavor. The second cause is the oxidation of alcohol to acetic acid, whether by oxidation or by acetobacter (gram-negative). This flavor will be more vinegary and less pleasant.

PROCESS: As a product of yeast metabolism, it can be caused by the strain itself or by premature termination of the yeast’s fermentation, such as oxygen depletion, premature flocculation, etc. such that the reaction from glucose to alcohol is stopped at the acetaldehyde stage.

The other causes are oxidation and contamination by acetic acid bacteria. This will occur during splashing when racking quiet beer (non-kraeusened) and bottling.

REMOVAL: Use a good yeast strain that will attenuate the wort properly. Oxygenate the wort at yeast-pitching time. DO NOT splash or oxygenate the wort when racking or bottling. Long lagering periods will also reduce acetaldehyde.

EXAMPLES: Budweiser deliberately manipulates their yeast and process to give 6-8 ppm acetaldehyde in the beer.

I didn't aerate enough. I made two "big rookie" mistakes that I think really put it off. But that's a perfect explanation and makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the super fast responses!

The way to avoid Apple and cider flavors are
1. Aerate well.
2. Pitch enough yeast.
3. Most people say don't use table sugar or older malt extract (particuarly LME).

Two words. Mr. Beer
lol... I did have LME in there and I don't think I aerated well enough

I think I got acetaldedyde with Nottingham last fall. As I look back, I think I caused it by rushing the yeast. Yeast creates acetaldedyde as an intermediate compound during fermentation. Given time, it cleans it up to a compound that has a lower taste threshold. I was fermenting at 62. I was at three weeks and the beer was not dropping clear. I fined and ended up with clear green apple flavored beer. I am starting to think that I not only check gravity to see when to bottle but also check taste. If I taste green apple or butter, I leave it with the yeast awhile and maybe warm it up to high 60's to encourage the yeast to finish.

in another thread someone posted this helpful link
http://www.kroc.org/Links/TroubleshootingGuide.htm

yours is the first (alphabetically) - Quote
ACETALDEHYDE

CHARACTERISTICS: Acetaldehyde is the flavor and aroma of green apples. It can also taste and smell acetic/cidery.

CHEMISTRY: Formed as a precursor to alcohol by the yeast, or as a product of the oxidation of alcohol to acetic acid.

CAUSES: Yeast metabolism (fresh-cut apples) uses acetaldehyde as a step in the production of alcohol from glucose. This is a fresh, fruity flavor. The second cause is the oxidation of alcohol to acetic acid, whether by oxidation or by acetobacter (gram-negative). This flavor will be more vinegary and less pleasant.

PROCESS: As a product of yeast metabolism, it can be caused by the strain itself or by premature termination of the yeast’s fermentation, such as oxygen depletion, premature flocculation, etc. such that the reaction from glucose to alcohol is stopped at the acetaldehyde stage.

The other causes are oxidation and contamination by acetic acid bacteria. This will occur during splashing when racking quiet beer (non-kraeusened) and bottling.

REMOVAL: Use a good yeast strain that will attenuate the wort properly. Oxygenate the wort at yeast-pitching time. DO NOT splash or oxygenate the wort when racking or bottling. Long lagering periods will also reduce acetaldehyde.

EXAMPLES: Budweiser deliberately manipulates their yeast and process to give 6-8 ppm acetaldehyde in the beer.

That was me. Just posted it again above you. Finally figured out how to copy quotes from a page full.:mug:

UPDATE: So I've been reading The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. In my Mr. beer kit, as per what I've read on these forums, I let it ferment for 2.5 weeks. 3 weeks seems to be recommended, or the longer the better, but in this book it says there's no need to let it ferment more than a week because the inactive yeast at the bottom will break down and produce off flavors.

Here I am thinking I need to let it sit to get the best quality, yet in this book it says not much longer than a week unless i'm going to let it ferment in a second carboy.

That's outdated info. they used too have sub par yeast,& feared autolysis from dead yeast. Not a problem anymore,with yeast quality going way up since then. So disregard that one. That on line eddition is the 1st one,so it's a bit old.

autolysis is also excellerated by heat and weight. Most commercial brewers have 10's of barrels (1000-10,000+ gallons) sitting on an area the size of a 5 gallon pail (or smaller) creating a lot of preasure. Add to that some fermentation heat and you get more yeast breakdown.

Yes the process of autolysis exists, no for the typical homebrewer it is not a factor until months (if then).

Back