Infection? No bad taste...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414108481.056219.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1414108504.166261.jpg

Went to go bottle my split batch of stout and found both fermentors had some stuff I'm not used to seeing on the top!
I courageously tasted the one that looks worse, and it tastes great!!
It had gravity reading of 1.013 two weeks ago (4 days into fermentation) and now it is at 1.012. I thought infections lowered you gravity a decent amount?

So I am confused. Should I go ahead and bottle it? Do you think it's infected?

You're photos aren't great, but it looks like it's probably fine. I say bottle it up..

An infection that would drop the gravity by any noticeable amount in that period of time would have a much more distinct pellicle on top. As Stauffbier said, the picture's not great, but it looks ok to me.

An infection that would drop the gravity by any noticeable amount in that period of time would have a much more distinct pellicle on top. As Stauffbier said, the picture's not great, but it looks ok to me.

A pellicle is an indication that oxygen is present inside the fermenter and not an indication of how fast the bacteria/yeast is working. I have had some very funky/acidic beers that had no pellicle whatsoever. To me it looks like there is still krausen on top of the beer with maybe some CO2 bubbles mixed in but like others said its hard to tell from the pictures.

A pellicle is an indication that oxygen is present inside the fermenter and not an indication of how fast the bacteria/yeast is working. I have had some very funky/acidic beers that had no pellicle whatsoever. To me it looks like there is still krausen on top of the beer with maybe some CO2 bubbles mixed in but like others said its hard to tell from the pictures.

I have actually fermented lots of sours. I'm pretty well versed. Maybe what I said wasn't technically correct, but the thread is a dude asking a question. You got an answer for him? I think if it was so intense an infection that it dropped gravity in such a short time, I'd see visual evidence of it. I don't.

Talk to the OP. I'm just a dude trying to help another dude out. :mug:

Wasn't trying to step on your toes man haha. By the way I had just as much of an answer for him as anyone else. RDWHAHB

Op just sent me a text of another picture. Definitely infected. The pellicle is starting to form and we're starting to see those classic dusty bubbles. My guess is it starting to form due to oxygen being let in from opening the fermenter. Bummer.

Back