Infected beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjoubert

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post.... Last June I brewed the Happy Holiday ale from Midwest supplies...after 4 weeks I racked to a secondary...the other day I noticed some strange bubbles on top of the liquid.... today I took a sample and it tastes like sour apple....is my beer infected?

The sour apple flavor is from young beer removed from the yeast too soon, according to the prophets of this hobby. I think it can also come from too much sugar & too high a temp during initial fermentation.

The sour apple flavor is from young beer removed from the yeast too soon, according to the prophets of this hobby. I think it can also come from too much sugar & too high a temp during initial fermentation.

I would say that is not it, based on the fact that it spent four weeks in the fermenter.

I would say that there are several causes, from too much headspace for too long, to a too-high fermentation temperature (as unionrdr said), but not from the beer being too young in this case.

Yeah, I found it strange that a few of them said that in the saved pages I have from Palmer & others. It's a by-product of fermentation, like a few others. That create off-flavors when they go above a certain number of Parts Per Million (PPM). In my experience, it's usually initial ferment temps.:mug:

Back